Best stable feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishycat

whats the best feeder insect that i can use as my juvenile dragon's diet with her greens i am currently feeding her crickets but its getting a bit pricey buying them at the petstore so what can i replace them with? i think i need to buy them in bulk online if so whats the best site to buy them on? and how much should i feed her?

anc90

Hatchling Member
Dubias are great! Super easy to feed,and they breed with little to no work.
I bought 1k off of a member on here to start feeding my guy,and 5 females and 5 males to get my breeding started, I keep them in a large rubbermaid container on top of the dryer,with a UTH on the bottom of the container on their egg crate side.Then some roach chow along with a green or fruit/veggie every day.Also water crystals.

They need to be dusted everyday like crickets but much cheaper! JDRoaches on here sells them per 500 starting at $25.00. I keep mine in a little bowl and Logan can just help himself for around 20 mins I refill when needed,he get's feed up to three times per day.

Fishycat

Original Poster
ah cool thank you! c: i still live with my mother and i don't think she will like the idea of having roaches in her house but maybe i can find a way to convince her. I will try my best c:

jducky18

Hatchling Member
If you don't call them roaches, call them dubia, and just refer to them as feeders, you can tell your mom that they don't smell, don't make noise, can't escape anything with smooth sides (like a bowl or a tupperwear container), and if one happens to get loose in your house, they cannot breed and infest your house. Sounds like a pretty good argument to me. They also don't die nearly as fast as crickets do, so they're even more cost effective.

Fishycat

Original Poster
jducky18":3o4hwzcq said:
If you don't call them roaches, call them dubia, and just refer to them as feeders, you can tell your mom that they don't smell, don't make noise, can't escape anything with smooth sides (like a bowl or a tupperwear container), and if one happens to get loose in your house, they cannot breed and infest your house. Sounds like a pretty good argument to me. They also don't die nearly as fast as crickets do, so they're even more cost effective.
ah that sounds like a good idea i will try it and hopefully she will let me, if she doesn't let me keep them inside can i successfully breed them outside? i live in the southern part of Texas so our weathers never really get that cold.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
They breed in 85-90 degrees, consistently. I'm sure it's possible to breed them outside, you just may not get stable numbers because of temperature variations, but I do know that some people have had success breeding them in garages. I simply put the bin in the back corner of my closet under a shelf, they can't escape the bin and they are out of the way and out of sight, and really don't have a smell, so they don't affect my clothes (and no one is likely to trip over the bin and cause a stampede)

Fishycat

Original Poster
jducky18":19hefmxh said:
They breed in 85-90 degrees, consistently. I'm sure it's possible to breed them outside, you just may not get stable numbers because of temperature variations, but I do know that some people have had success breeding them in garages. I simply put the bin in the back corner of my closet under a shelf, they can't escape the bin and they are out of the way and out of sight, and really don't have a smell, so they don't affect my clothes (and no one is likely to trip over the bin and cause a stampede)
i have started to ask my mother about breeding them making sure i don't use the word roach, but i have yet to get an answer hopefully if she sees how much money we can save by breeding them she can finally agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom