Best size tank to start a baby in

Status
Not open for further replies.

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
I was curious what size people liked the most a 20 or 40 gallon? If the issue with the bigger tank is catching he food what about feeding in a separate container.

Mariah94

Juvie Member
You should always feed in a seperate container. I suggest buying the 40 breeder. You can always but a barrier up to make the 40 breeder a bit smaller.

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
I'm not sure why you say you should always feed in a separate container - that is totally not true. You can do that if it is easier for you, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with feeding in the tank as long as you take out any left over bugs. Some dragons refuse to eat outside their tanks.

OP: I would get the 40 gallon. It will save you money later. You can try feeding him in a separate container. It didn't work for me, but I take out all of Max's furniture in his tank and let him hunt, then put back the furniture.

Mariah94

Juvie Member
Let me rephrase that. If you're feeding crickets you should feed seperately. My girl eats from a bowl in her viv so I can go ahead and eat my own words. :oops:

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
daner923":3jf5g3pm said:
I'm not sure why you say you should always feed in a separate container - that is totally not true. You can do that if it is easier for you, but there is nothing intrinsically wrong with feeding in the tank as long as you take out any left over bugs. Some dragons refuse to eat outside their tanks.

OP: I would get the 40 gallon. It will save you money later. You can try feeding him in a separate container. It didn't work for me, but I take out all of Max's furniture in his tank and let him hunt, then put back the furniture.

I agree I have always used a 40. My babies have always liked reptiworms but seem to get bored with them. I used to keep crickets but I hated the smell. I have always fed in the enclosure I have tried a seperate container and they would never eat

Spoony

Sub-Adult Member
I've got my Zero in the 40 without a barrier and he seems to do just fine. He explores it bits and pieces at a time, but he doesn't cower in a corner.

As for feeding, Zero refuses to eat anything I leave for him and doesn't hunt crix, so I end of tricking him into eating when I take him out. I've only had him a week, so it's still a work in progress.

XiDiS

Juvie Member
Even feeding crickets there is no reason to feed in a seperate container. I drop crickets in one at a time and once my beardie stops eating i pick up the last one she didnt eat.

DTRM30

Hatchling Member
One at a time is what I do - well right now I have no choice (hand feeding a disabled dragon) but before that happened we did one at a time. It wasn't bad - you know there is only 1 you need to catch.

But I have read that a lot of people feed in a separate container. I would say which ever is better for you and your dragon.

I also agree with going with the larger tank right off the bat .... I hate having to buy things twice/upgrade if it's unnecessary.
Some don't mind though. So again, which ever you prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom