Behavior!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathy78

I have a 13 month old male called toothless who spends most of his day scratching to get out of the tank, he will almost stand on his tail with the effort, as soon as i open the glass he jumps straight out and goes for an adventure around the front room or who ever is led on the floor, (mostly my son), is this normal????

Also i have a 12 month old female called princess hiccup who shares the same tank as toothless, she head bobs all the time, but it doesnt seem to be directed at the male, even if you are holding her she head bobs. I have also only seen her do the arm gestering once. I have read everywhere thats its mostly the males that head bob when they are tring to mate yet this just really doesnt seem the case here, i have even had her sexed again to double check she is female. Apart from this there is absolutly no agression from her so im assuming its not a dominence thing.

Can someone give me some advice please :D

Kathy xxx

I would separate them ASAP and see if there's a difference in behaviour. Your male is possibly uncoortable sharing and hence the reason he's constantly trying to escape.

kathy78

Original Poster
but if they seem fine together why seperate them? They always lie together or on each other on there log or on me, he seems to want to get out when i am in the room, if my husband is in the room toothless doesnt scratch. They have also been together since they were 2 and 3 months old so seperating them would be worse surely????. Kathy x

Unfortunately they are solitary creatures and thrive better when they are on their own. One will always want to be the dominant creature and therefore the submissive dragon will suffer.

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
No, it would be worst keeping them together. Bearded dragons are solitary creatures and don't enjoy company. The behavior your seeing is them fighting for dominance, especially them laying on top of one another, this isn't them being cute. Your male wants to breed your female and the head bobbing is her way of saying NO. He will not stop until he breeds her, and you will end up with lots of babies. They are going to end up fighting to death, or your male will just continue to try to breed your female, stressing her out until she just gives up.
Type in cohabitation in the search bar on this forum and you will see many articles on why bearded dragons should not be kept together.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=154908
This article will show you. The only time people house dragons together is two females, and even that is not reccomended. Breeders don't even leave their male and females in the same tank together for this reason.
You should really separate them immediately before it is too late for your female.

Gail

BD.org Addict
His behavior is totally normal, especially for a male going into breeding season. I also agree with separating them, their behavior of laying together or next to each other is passive aggression and it will eventually get worse. You will also end up with babies if you want them or not. The female bobbing could either be sign she wants to mate or a warning to the male that she isn't a submissive.

kathy78

Original Poster
Wow didn't realise these dangers, I'm now in process of getting another vivarium as my dragons are my babies and it makes me feel sick that one of them could get hurt. I can't thank you enough people xxxxx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom