Beardies jumping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom311

i need to know if (1) does a screen top filter out uv rays and (2) is it ok to not use a top for the tank. The tallest furnishing is a foot from the top. Can the beardies jump out? Thanks

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, screen tops can filter out up to 50% of the UVB. Why not mount your UVB fixture inside the tank? There are a lot of ways of accomplishing that. If you tell me what kind of enclosure you have and what kind of fixture you're using, I should be able to help you out.

As for jumping, it depends on the beardie. My little baby beardie can jump really high because he only weighs 17 grams. My 8-month-old probably couldn't jump more than about 4 inches, because he weighs 350 grams. The baby is like a cricket... super fast and light. The older one is like a sloth... fat and slow.

tom311

Original Poster
I have a 40 gallon glass tank with a screen top. His tallest thing is a foot away from the top. I hope this gives what you need

Spencer

Hatchling Member
i always use a screen lid. my baby jumps high.

my UBV fixture i got at walmart and i couldnt figure out how to attach it to the wall so there is wire on each side of the fixture and it is hooked to command strips to hold the light inside the tank. ghetto but effective

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
tom311":3adkx39t said:
I have a 40 gallon glass tank with a screen top. His tallest thing is a foot away from the top. I hope this gives what you need

What kind of fixture are you using for your UVB? Is it an aquarium hood-style or is it more of an under-cabinet fixture from a hardware store?

tom311

Original Poster
Its an under the cabinet hardware store one. The tank has a plastic center brace if that helps. I bought scotch removable adhesive strips. I havent tried them yet. Luckily im not getting my beardie for about a month.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
tom311":2udo7806 said:
Its an under the cabinet hardware store one. The tank has a plastic center brace if that helps. I bought scotch removable adhesive strips. I havent tried them yet. Luckily im not getting my beardie for about a month.

Okay, with an under-cabinet type of fixture, you have a couple of really good options. I assume there are some screw holes on the back/top of it to mount it? If that's the case you can use a couple of 3M Command picture hangers like these and mount them to the back wall:

http://www.command.com/wps/portal/3...mand-Sawtooth-Picture-Hanger?N=5922482&rt=rud

Another option is to buy brackets that hook over the edge of the back wall that you can then screw the fixture to like these:

http://www.reptiza.net/beardeddragon.co/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=211

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom