Beardie with some weird issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. So I recently picked up my first bearded dragon, (have had lots of other reptiles, but he's me first Beardie :D ) I did a lot of research before setting up the cage and going out and getting him. I even had a friend who owns beardies come over and take a look check my probes and make sure everything was snazzy for him.
So last week I got him, he's 1 year old, around 15 inches and a fat little boy to boot. He comes from a weird situation though, and he has stumped those I know with Beardies. He comes from a highschool biology class for Behavioral Disorder children.
So i'll start the list I suppose, with that in mind.
First off, the most disturbing to me is that he does not eat crickets. Flat out refuses. Wont touch them, in his cage or a feeding tank (I tried it in his cage only after the feeding tank failed) I've tried everything I could think of, he refuses. He'll eat his veggies, well kind of. Maybe a pinch worth a day. I have a mix of collared greens, alfalfa plant, dandelion greens and some squash. He refuses to eat pellets, I tried these, again, in hopes that I could find what he is used to. The only thing I have offered him that he will accept is Silkworms and Mealworms. I know the mealworms are a rare thing not a constant in their diet because of the shells and low calcium. I'm lost. I want him to eat healthy, but after contacting the woman I got him from, I was informed this is how he was raised. No greens, just calcium dosed mealworms. Seriously? thats about what I could say after talking to her.
Next, he does not like to have anymore then 8 hours of lights and heat. I have a ground heater for nights so I think this isn't going to so much hurt him, but it's unusual. Apparently once the teacher left for the day she simply shut down his lights and left him. My lights are set to go on at 8am, and go off again at 9:30. around 5 he starts going crazy, he rips apart his tank and starts digging at the tile and just starts flipping his furniture everywhere. He tosses his hidey, knocks down his basking furniture, you name it, he breaks it, until you turn off his light. Once you turn it off, he just collapses and is out like a light within 10 minutes. Right now, he in fact is asleep in a very awkward way. He's lying on two different climbing sticks, his head propped very close to veritcal, and he seems to be just perfectly happy this way.
I worry with this schedule, if I can't correct it, he wont get enough UVA/B rays.
Next, he hates baths. We fill the tub to my second knuckle on my hand, it ends up reaching him mid chest, luke warm water. He jumps outta there as fast as he can. Its a huge fight to get him in the bath, i promise you, i've seen cats easier to bathe. Again, I know he gets a large part of his hydration this way, and well its not working well. Once more, in my conversation with the woman I found he has never been put into a bath of any form, only sprayed once a week with a spray bottle.

These are the traits of the bruiser of a bearded named Brock. I'll post up some pictures of him and his tank tomorrow hopefully, but for now unfortunately, I am cameraless.
Anyone have any tips on the oddities exhibited with him? Ways to get him to eat crickets, and get more used to staying up later in the day?
HELP.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hey there,
These are not oddities at all and with some time and patience you can fix them.
1st you going to have to gradually start increaseing His light. Maybe add an hour every week or so.
Beardies get into routines and they DO NOT LIKE change. So small changes over time work best.
As far as feeders go check out this site Http://www.beautifuldragons.com
see what veggies He likes.
Now the hard part. He has probably only eaten mealies His whole life. Try a super worm to see If He will take that. Chances are He will because it LOOKS the same. Just bigger. You may have to try Dubia roaches 1st before you get into crickets at all. Remember His whole world has just been turned upsidedown. He needs time to absorb that its ok

Seacow

First of all...CONGRATS on your new beardie!! :blob5: :blob8:
I wouldn't be too worried at the moment to be honest. His whole schedule/diet/lifestyle has undergone a huge change in the last weeks (even if it's for the better!). As the previous poster said beardies DO NOT like change, even minor changes to their enclosure furniture. He is probably undergoing relocation stress, and is reacting just like a naughty child throwing a temper tantrum :twisted: . I'd introduce any new things slowly, gradually and one at a time. Let him get used to one new thing before moving on to the next. It's not unusual for a beardie to eat nothing at all for a couple of weeks after changing location. Good luck with your new dragon, they're worth the trouble...honest!!(Even if you do end up wrapped around his scaley likkle claw :D )
All the best and keep us posted....
Sarah

HiddenThylacine

Original Poster
thanks guys thats actually a lot of help. I've been really careful not to change anything in his tank since the first time he was in it, with the exception of trying to fix everything he knocked over! :) No tantrum tonight! He sat with me and watched TV for about an hour, just chilling and sleeping. I think he's in love with Hugh Laurie, every time he spoke he would open his eyes and watch the tv very intently!
We tried superworms today after I saw your posts and I'm not sure if it's going to work, we had the superworm with a few meal worms. He wasn't really interested in eating at all today, so we'll try again tomorrow! Thats a great idea though and I can't wait to get him off mealworms.
Thanks for calming me down everyone I was really worried for awhile there!

Weird Brock fact of the day. His favorite hidey is apparently the bread box that we put on under his basking perch.

HiddenThylacine

Original Poster
TheWolfmanTom":4180e said:
Hey there,
These are not oddities at all and with some time and patience you can fix them.
1st you going to have to gradually start increaseing His light. Maybe add an hour every week or so.
Beardies get into routines and they DO NOT LIKE change. So small changes over time work best.
As far as feeders go check out this site Http://www.beautifuldragons.com
see what veggies He likes.
Now the hard part. He has probably only eaten mealies His whole life. Try a super worm to see If He will take that. Chances are He will because it LOOKS the same. Just bigger. You may have to try Dubia roaches 1st before you get into crickets at all. Remember His whole world has just been turned upsidedown. He needs time to absorb that its ok
WOW!!
he wont even touch his mealworms anymore! he's hooked on supers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwe6634ee1
Top Bottom