Beardie Threw up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TReigle58

Our 8 Month old beardie just threw up. At first he just laid there but now, abour 45 mins later, he is active. He threw up mostly undigested crickets. Hi went 4 or 5 days without having any crickets and yesterday we got some and about 20 of them got dumped into his habitat without calcium. He also had an inconsident light for heat which only got it up to about 80 degrees and today we got him a inferred one.

How big are the crickets you fed him? Their crickets should be no bigger than the space between their eyes, any larger can cause problems. He may not have been able to digest them if they were too large for him. An infrared light is not good for a bearded dragon, they thrive off the brightness of a white light. An incandescent bulb is the best, if it is too cold move up in wattage rather than onto an infrared.

His throwing up could be as simple as he ate too fast. If it happens again, though, you should consider taking him to the vet as he could have something wrong with his digestive system.

Good luck!

TReigle58

Original Poster
The crickets size is OK. He did eat them pretty fast when they were drop into his habitat. We will keep an eye on him the next 24 to 48 hours.

As for the light, everyone, including on this site says a red lamp is good. Can anyone please clarify this issue?

Thanks

traceyb73

Sub-Adult Member
Easiest way to do this is to get a CLEAR household bulb (they are about $1 US). You don't want florescent or soft white, it has to be clear). They are getting harder to find, so you may have to go to a lighting store but they are still very cheap. This will help with the heat, which you NEED to get over 100 F. Ideally 105-110. I may have missed it but you want to get either a temp gun or a digital thermometer with probe. You can get a cheap one...see link below. Depending on if you get it in a pet store or online, it will run you anywhere between $5.40-$8.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-thermometers-hygrometers/11442-511260/zoo-med-digital-thermometer-for-terrariums.html
Just be sure that they probe is in contact with the basking spot and give it MINIMUM of 45 minutes to get an accurate reading.

For UV, you want to go with reptisun 10.0 TUBE. Coil bulbs will cause eye problems. You can get the fixture for a very small price at a walmart or home improvement store. You want to be sure it's mounted inside the viv. Rule of thumb is you want it to cover 3/4 or more of the length of the viv.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/reptile-fluorescent-bulbs/11442-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html

If your temps aren't going over 3 digits your beardie can not digest his/her food. This could be the reason for vomiting. Also, again as mentioned before, it can not be any larger than the space between his/her eyes.

Good luck! Please keep us posted!! :)

Tracey

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's also important to make sure that your beardie has at least 2 hrs under the basking light to digest. What type of thermometer are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom