Beardie scared of Crickets and won't eat them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Are you feeding your crickets? They shouldn't be biting your dragon when you try to feed him, give them some veggies to munch on.

Mealworms can't chew through a dragon stomach, thats just a myth. What usually happens is any mealies left in the cage will find a deceased dragon and start to eat it leading people to think thats what killed the dragon.

I can understand your mom not wanting roaches but they aren't like wild roaches, they really are different. They don't stink, make noise, jump around or bit your dragon. Maybe you get your mom to come on here and read about dubia.

Phoenix are a good feeder but be aware that they are really high in calcium. If you use them as a staple, you won't need to dust them except with vitamin powder.

You really need to figure out something, lack of protein will cause stunted growth. No amount of supplements or veggies can provide the protein a growing baby needs.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Crickets need lots of food and it is really important to gut load them. NEVER just buy them from the pet store and throw them in with your lizard, larger crickets can and will cause serious damage if they are not appropriately fed and even smaller crickets can seriously irritate or frighten your pet. Crickets would much rather eat things that are already dead, but if they are hungry or dehydrated, they will quite happily eat your dragon and each other. Give them water either in gel crystal form or soak a cotton ball or a sponge in water for them and give them some food. Dry dog or cat food works well, or some fruits and veggies. The latter tends to make them a bit stinkier, I've found, so you can limit that to just a little bit. I feed my crickets nature zone beardie bites. Charlie won't even look at them, but the crickets eat them up happily, so at least I didn't waste my money.

tazznzeppelin

Juvie Member
Phoenix worms have 4 percent less protein than crickets. They don't have a hard shell so they won't impact. They dont have teeth like mealworms so no chance of them eating through little Oscar's
tummy. Roaches are much higher in protein, so I would use them as your staple feeder. I'm sure
your mom will come around eventually.

BeardedOscar

Original Poster
Okay, so i think we've had a breakthrough :D . Oscar has been eating two crickets a day rather than one every other day! :mrgreen: This has only been happening for a couple of days, though, but i hope it will last!! I will order phoenix worms ASAP. I still can't get roaches :( . I told my mom that they aren't stinky or nasty like wild roaches, but she's still doubtful. However, i think she is letting in a little because i asked her the other day and and she said 'we'll see', which usually means yes. My crickets already do have food, i feed them "fluker's orange cubes; complete cricket diet" and the container says that they provide food and water for the crickets. I put new cubes in every other day and they seem to be eating them. Are these good enough food, or should i get something else? And also the crickets stay in one of those cricket tanks, you know with the black tubes. I don't just dump them into Oscar's tank. Thank you all so much for your help and i will keep letting you know how he's doing! :)

-Emzers & Oscar :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom