Beardie Gagging / In Shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpitaphREI

I noticed earlier today that Legion seemed like he was trying to vomit, flaring out his beard, opening his mouth, and shaking his head a bit. I had to work for a couple of hours, but after coming back I noticed he is still doing it quite often. I am about to go give him a bath and feel him down for any lumps in his belly, but I really don't know what else to do. He is also in shed, if that matters. Any help is welcome!

Beardie:

Name: Legion
Length: 9in
Source: Reputable breeder
Pooping: typically every-other-day
Live food: Crickets (1/4 inch - from Flukers Farms)
Feeding Schedule: 25 crickets, twice a day
Greens: Collard greens, with Escarole
Cricket Food: High-protein cat food dusted with powdered milk/calcium (10/1 ratio) and alfalfa pellets
Cricket prep: Flukers Calcium with D3 ( getting without D3 today) every day, Reptivite once a week.

Enclosure:

Size: Exoterra 40 breeder
Lid: Screen
Substrate: Vinyl shelf liner (not the slick stuff)
Light: Powersun 100W
Basking Distance: 9inches
Light cycle: Timed, 8am-8pm
Water: Drinking water

He also gets a 'bath' every couple of days, in tap water (is this okay, or should I also be using drinking water here?)

Oh, he had a fecal done by the breeders before I got him - he was clean.

That is all I can think of - ask if you need any other info!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
If his beard is shedding, that would explain it. If not, I would check my temps. My girl retches some when she gets too hot. Let us know how he is doing.

EpitaphREI

Original Poster
His face and beard are shedding, as is the rest of his body - poor fellow. After a few baths over the past few hours, most of the shed on his body has peeled off, as has most of the shed on his chest and beard. All that is really left is some shed around his mouth, eyes, and on the top of his head. The rest is really up to him, but it seems he is making vigorous use of the rougher surfaces I have in his viv for times like this. He is asleep now, but I will keep an eye out for any gagging behavior tomorrow. Hopefully he was just gagging/writhing around because he was trying to get all of the shed loose. Thanks for the info, though, it really reassured me! My late beardie did some odd stuff while shedding, but the gagging was a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom