Beardie ate contaminated roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuliTheDragon

Hi all, i fed my bearded dragon 4 roaches before noticing that the strawberries that the roaches had been eating had gone moldy. I fed the roaches strawberries 2 days ago, I thought they would eat the small amount I put in there but they hadn't. They didn't look moldy, just less firm than when I put them in there so I didn't think anything of it and fed Juli. Well I went to remove the small bits of strawberry after I fed her & noticed some had mold on them. I'm worried that Juli will get sick. My normal vet was closed so I called an emergency vet & they told me there isn't anything we can do at this point. They just said keep an eye on her & if she starts acting strange take her in. Has this happened to anybody or does anyone have advise? I'm so scared she is going to get sick, I feel awful about it. If anyone has any info I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you in advance.
Also I will not be feeding her any more of these roaches, I will have to get new ones.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This won't affect her at all. Not that we would want it to happen but it isn't going to harm Juli at all.

JuliTheDragon

Original Poster
AHBD":6kx0c8l3 said:
This won't affect her at all. Not that we would want it to happen but it isn't going to harm Juli at all.

Thank you for responding. I'm feeling better about this situation.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She'll be fine....I had a piece of cantaloupe get moldy in my cricket bin and the lizards were not affected in the least by eating any of the crix.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
That's a relief .... I saw the heading and thought your beardie spotted a wild roach who has eaten roach bait or being contact with surface spray or been sprayed and snapped it up and ate it.

That is likely to be a big problem, unlike wild lizards, captive bred lizards don't get to develop a tolerance or immunity to these toxins.

Your beardie ate crickets who ate mouldy food. He'll be fine, he might be a bit tipsy for a while though. (Mouldy veg contains alcohol which is fermentation product.)

JuliTheDragon

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2t6fes6o said:
That's a relief .... I saw the heading and thought your beardie spotted a wild roach who has eaten roach bait or being contact with surface spray or been sprayed and snapped it up and ate it.

That is likely to be a big problem, unlike wild lizards, captive bred lizards don't get to develop a tolerance or immunity to these toxins.

Your beardie ate crickets who ate mouldy food. He'll be fine, he might be a bit tipsy for a while though. (Mouldy veg contains alcohol which is fermentation product.)

Thank you for your response. I'm so glad I found this forum, it has been more helpful than just google searches. Juli seems to be her normal self :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom