Bearded dragon's mouth keeps on opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Actually, you don't need to spend the extra money on a reptile basking bulb, using standard household light bulbs is fine. What are planning on getting for the UVB? There are some that are useless and others that are dangerous so want to make sure you know what to get.

thor2012

Original Poster
My wife enjoying an "I told you so" chastising...Thor started out as our son's pet but he's taken over the whole family already! He's perked up in his bath right now, alert, looking around, cute as ever....Thank you for your help...I'll be getting that thermometer at Walmart tomorrow as well as getting the big tank cleaned up and ready for him...

thor2012

Original Poster
What do you suggest for uva/uvb unit? One I looked at , forget the brand, had two long bulbs, about 24" one was evidently uva and one uvb.

Jerichosdad

Hatchling Member
Get a temp gun. Way more accurate. We use a 60 watt but it's about 7 inches from basking. And temp reaches 105.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
thor2012":1aoebf1m said:
My wife enjoying an "I told you so" chastising...Thor started out as our son's pet but he's taken over the whole family already! He's perked up in his bath right now, alert, looking around, cute as ever....Thank you for your help...I'll be getting that thermometer at Walmart tomorrow as well as getting the big tank cleaned up and ready for him...
Oh boy, you're getting the "I told you so" remark, us women can sure do that. :lol: I know what you mean about Thor being your son's pet and now he's the fav of the whole family. Our 9 yr old started out as our son's and we fell in love, he was only about a month old when we got him. Then we got a female, another male, a one-eyed beardie and then a female from a breeder on the forum from California. You can't just have one, you know.

I'm so happy to hear that he perked up, I thought he would. Make sure to use a washcloth or small towel in the bottom of the container you bathe him in because it keeps them from sliding around so that they feel more secure.

I'm glad you're going to get the thermometer tomorrow. As far as the UVB bulb goes, the beset ones in the U.S. (if that's where you are) are the Repti-Sun 10.0 strip fluorescent TUBE or the Arcadia tubes. You may not be able to find either of those in a petstore though and will probably have to order one of them online. If you need a site to get one of them, let me know.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Jerichosdad":2bgy2gjh said:
Get a temp gun. Way more accurate. We use a 60 watt but it's about 7 inches from basking. And temp reaches 105.
Temp guns are good too, I have 2 of them and 2 digital probe thermometers. The guns are good for a quick reading but I also like to use the probe thermometers to double check once in a while and to get the humidity readout at the same time.

thor2012

Original Poster
Thx Diamc...we are in NJ with a place in the Adirondacks....I see you from Upstate NY, whereabouts?
Too that, how do these little guys travel? Can we take him with us like our puppy Lloyd or does Grandma have to come feed him?
Our pet shop has a lot of reptile equip. I'll be heading there tonight to look at bulb as well as WMart for temp gun...
Any thoughts are appreciated and we can't thank you enough for all your help....

thor2012

Original Poster
Hi Diamc - and everyone else...I'm getting so smitten I can't believe it with my son's pet!!!
Anyway, another question, our crickets are "gutloaded" from our pet shop and we also feeding crickets them their Gel-like calcium "food" - do we still need calcium dust them before feeding little Thor?? been reading on this site and others :study: how a lot of folks dust calcium 5 days week and dust Reptivite on weekends????

Just getting home from work...gotta go shopping now and clean out Thor's new 50gal home!! :D

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there. Yes, you still need to dust his crickets 5 days a wk, 1 feeding a day with calcium and dust the other 2 days with vitamins.

Good luck with your shopping, hope you can find everything you're looking for. If you can't find the exact UVB bulbs we mentioned (Repti-SUN 10.0 tube or Arcadia), please don't buy an alternative without checking with us, ok?

thor2012

Original Poster
Ok thanks :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob8: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :blob5: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :) :) :) :) 8) 8) 8) 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How did you make out with your shopping?

Thx Diamc...we are in NJ with a place in the Adirondacks....I see you from Upstate NY, whereabouts?
I'm sorry, only just saw this. We live about 45 min south of Albany, does that help? Where in NJ are you?

sageorge1

A 150 watt light was too much for my 120 gallon vivarium, basking spot was 140 + ... Im sure it will be WAY too hot in a 50 gallon. Also, I use a thermal / hydro probe digital to monitor (and they are EXACT!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom