Bearded Dragon pooping on his basking branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lexdang

My Bearded Dragon poops anywhere he likes! The other day, he literally just let everything out on the branch he was laying on-- and this didn't even bother him! He just continued to lay there.
I just adopted him few days ago (1 year old Bearded Dragon) and it seemed like he was neglected (In terms of sanitation)
Is it maybe cause his previous owners didn't really care and just let him poop all over the place?
I hope I don't have to continue taking out his branches to hose down every single time he decides to go..

-I have a 40 gallon breeder tank and use a MVB bulb (everything is set up correctly)

Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
There's really not much you can do about it - some dragons just don't care and will poop anywhere. Max will poop on his basking rock, but then he always stays away from it and goes black until I clean it up. Maybe try using something easier to clean as a basking spot, and use the branch elsewhere in the tank?

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
HAHA I've been pooped on a couple times as well. Also, Max loves to poop when he's out running around, so I've gotten a handful of poop on numerous occasions. So pleasant. Better than cleaning the carpet though.

jezwolf175

Sub-Adult Member
You could try bath training. It's helped with many owners on terms of pooping and cleaning. But you kinda have to have a set schedule and routine. Mine is:
9:00 wake and warm up
10:00 bath and poop
10:30 food with dusting
11:30 or 12:30 romp around house
Etc.

hope this helps. :)

LLBlue

I keep my bearded dragon's cage very clean, but she definitely makes no effort on her own! She regularly relieves herself on her basking branch, on top of her hide, in her food bowl, and wherever else the urge strikes. I don't think that there is very much you can do other than clean it up as soon as you possibly can. Some bearded dragons do go in their bath, which is easier to clean up. Unfortunately mine has only gone in her bath one time. If yours is messy now, use an old toothbrush to scrub him off in the bath.

Melody12

Hatchling Member
Mine will move away from her dreaded poop, urates, or anything coming out of her vent. Then Melody climbs to the highest point, away from her dreaded poop. She's funny when it comes to pooping and urates. :)

jjh1

Juvie Member
pooping on branches normal. some of mine poop in the water some will bath then proceed to poop in their tanks.
and then run through it or climb as far as they can away from it lol

lexdang

Original Poster
I guess the best thing to do is to move the basking branch somewhere else in the tank and use something easier to clean for basking.
Some people are so lucky to have their beardies poop in the bath.. sigh.

A funny thing happened today though. My beardie was climbing his basking branch and fell and immediately pooped. I think this caused him to poop because he got so scared from falling. :D

ultimatecin

It is quite odd where these creatures poop. Bilia has a routine of pooping in both his food bowls right after I fill them. He also just goes wherever he feels the need but usually he will make the effort to the bowls if he/she can make it there. Beardies are pooping machines, just get into the routine of cleaning the tank non-stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom