bearded dragon lifespan

Status
Not open for further replies.

demiblood

How long do beardies actually live?
I've read everything from 3 years, to upwards of 20+ years
that is quite a large variable in their age, most pages say 10-12 years should be the 'average' life-span,
but then some say 3-10 years, while others say 15-19 years if properly taken care of.

Where are the experts?
everyone who owns a bearded dragon obviously thinks they're an expert, only they know the truth.
but what is the actual life expectancy of a 'healthy' and 'well taken care of' dragon, who doesn't have an immune disorder, is fed healthy food, and has consistent UVB, and no parasites.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Personally, I think that beardies can live to around 15 years, maybe a little longer. My vet had one that reached 11 years, and currently she has a female who is 9 years old. I think, as with any other animal in capativity, that the more WE learn about caring for them, the more their life expectancy is increased. Better husbandry, healthier dragon=longer life span. In the wild, I believe at last estimate, life span is around 8 years. But remember, they are subject to predation, freak weather occurances, sometimes lack of food/water, disease and parasites that are not treated like a captive bred animal would be.

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
My oldest was 17 years old! It was documented with the vet! Although he spent most of his time on my shoulder, blind, almost fully crippled and pooped him self every day he was in great spirits! We had to hand feed him the last 2 years of his great life!!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
In the wild the life span is 3 to 5 years.
In captivity 8 to 10 is the average.
11-14 is the extreme, with some living much longer, but i would call them exceptional.
Thats why you see so many different answers.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Sorry Tom, I read an article not too long ago where the author mentioned the estimated life span for wild beardies being about 8 years. I stand corrected by one of the Beardie Masters :D It is possible for them to live to 15 years or older, just as Lance's old fellow made it to 17, but, I think in your wisdom and experience you are correct that those would be the rare examples.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
But, Tom,
You have a LOT of experience that you base that opinion on, and thats worth listening to. No one knows everything-always learning. I've been in this hobby for 3 and 1/2 years and have learned alot from experiencing the process and have done a lot of reading and research, but not all research is equal. We all know there's some bad info out there. I would defer to your judgement on this one, as I said, I had seen this in an online article not too long ago, and there is always the possibilty of discrepency. :D

BTW, was on your site yesterday, you've got some really good looking dragons there!

demiblood

Original Poster
Thanks guys,

I'll take it that, 8-10 years is his 'captive' life expectancy with a possibility of 15+ under certain circumstances...
I wanted to know mostly for health and care reasons.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Good husbandry, thats what it boils down too. There are of course things/illnesses that can happen that are beyond control (viruses, etc) but for the most part, provide the basics and tweek it from there. As long as you provide those essential basics, your beardie will be with you for a good long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom