badly wounded adolecent bull-frog

Status
Not open for further replies.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
please, if someone knows about amphibians i have a badly hurt frog... i walked past a tank and saw a red-ear slider dragging a frog underwater by its hind leg :evil: ... the poor thing was hanging on for dear life and i didnt see the store owner around to help him. i reached in and gently tapped the turtle on the shell but he didnt let go. i was frantic, the turtle was stripping the flesh from his leg so i bopped him on the head with my fingertip and he let go. the poor thing swam to my hand and rested there with its leg splayed out...

i walked over to the store owner and told him what happened and at first he thought i did it :? . i told him i wanted to buy the frog and he said it was probably going to die so i could have it. he gave me a little plastic tank with a lid. it was dirty so he let me have it for free... i rinsed it thoroughly and now i have him in about an inch of water with stones to get up on. hes seems to be hanging in there but half the skin on his thigh is stripped to the knee. he moves around but doesnt jump... its probably far too painfull :cry: ... i can see his muscle tissue, is there anything i can put in the water(i have fish melafix for open wounds... can i put a drop of this in the water?).

antibiotics?

i really dont want him to die but i dont know what to do. i cant afford to take him to a vet so any help would be greatly appreciated

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is sad. That poor frog. You are going to have to watch it that area on his leg. Is his bone showing through?
They have Magainins in their skin which naturally help to ward off infections. Other than that, it is a waiting game. They usually are able to heal themselves, depending on the severity of the injury.
Has he attempted to eat or even move right now?
Can you post a picture of him?

Tracie

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
thank you for your quick response. i just took these pictures this morning, sorry their out of focus:

hurtfrog1.jpg

hurtfrog2.jpg

from what i can tell its just muscle showing, but maybe the knee is too... i have melafix, would this hurt or help him? its for open wounds on fish. anything else i can add to the water? i tried feeding him a cricket last night but he didt want it. ive seen him swim and move occasionaly but he "walks", he doesn't "hop"... his leg seems to be hanging limp and theirs scumy looking stuff stuck to parts of it. thats all i can really tell you right now. ill check back later for a response, thanks again :wink:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OUCH!! That absolutely cannot feel good at all! :(
The melafix would be fine. Make sure you keep that area cleaned off just to help him out. Keep that water clean on a daily basis too so that bacteria does not build up, either.
There is not a whole lot more that you can do. Has he eaten anything at all? If not, you might have to go to some assisted feeding for him.
Poor guy, but at least you are trying to help him out!!

Tracie

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
he seems so badly wounded, how can i clean the excess gunk off his leg without making him suffer?

also, what is the best method for assisted feeding? what does this entail?

i think he may live, its been a couple of days and thats longer than i thought he'd make it... i'll just keep changing his water daily and offering food.

ilovebeardeddragons

Gray-bearded Member
hi first of all im glad your trying to help him and yes the melafix would be ok to put in there the frog looks like hes just out of the tadpole stage seeing the lil tail looking thing on the bakc of his body and i think he can heel all by him self just keep doing what your doing

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your frog doing today, any improvements? Is he eating anything yet?

Tracie

ilovebeardeddragons

Gray-bearded Member
oh hey i have a quetion for all who comes here to this post(oh and sorry for kinda doing my thing in your post tell me if you wnat me to make a different one for my problum) anyways i found a frog and hye has a bad eye ill get a pic tomarrow but ya i dont think he can see out of it but it looks like its shaded and stuff

Dave94

Gray-bearded Member
ilovebeardeddragons":2d80c said:
oh hey i have a quetion for all who comes here to this post(oh and sorry for kinda doing my thing in your post tell me if you wnat me to make a different one for my problum) anyways i found a frog and hye has a bad eye ill get a pic tomarrow but ya i dont think he can see out of it but it looks like its shaded and stuff

I would say left over shed or could be a grey scab maybe
(if they do shed though LOL I;ve never owned a frog :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom