Baby Beardie Still the Same Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

britanny

I got my baby bearded dragon almost a month ago and he has not grown at all. I bought him UVB lamps and i give him crickets & fresh fruit and veggies daily. He'll lick the fruit and veggies if i hand feed him but he never eats them. He loves his crickets and eats at least 2 a day. I have a water dish for him and he likes to bask on his log. He goes to sleep at the same time every night and sometimes during the day he'll run around but he has not grown like he should. I'm really worried. He has a little skin peeling on his tail and under his chin but thats about it.
7216_176965089224_735149224_3672493_7399438_n.jpg

that's a pic the day i got him and he's still that size. Any suggestions?

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
I think your baby is very cute! I do have a couple of questions that might give us an idea of what could or could not be causing his lack of increase. What uvb do you have on him, eg reptisun 10, reptiglo 5, one of the reptisun or reptiglo coils? He should be eating a lot more than 2 every day. How old is he?

ajkry2

Gray-bearded Member
OK--proper husbandry is KEY in having a happy, healthy beardie...

lets start with lighting
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=114817&e=0

Now on to substrate (the floor of the vivarium):
Particle substrate (sand, bark, etc) is not recommended for 2 reasons
-- it harbors bacteria, and has an impaction risk. The recommended
alternatives are: Paper towels, repticarpet, shelf liner, or tile.
Many people like tile as its easy to clean (dishwasher/sink) and keeps
your BD's nails trimmed, I use paper towels (always replacing them due
to poopoo).

Lets talk about feeders:
Live feeders should be no larger than the space between your BD's
eyes. Here's a generally accepted list of safe foods:

http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

A few rules of thumb -- superworms should not be fed until your BD is
16 inches or longer. Stay away from mealworms as they're hard to
digest, and may cause impaction.
and here's a little something I came up with :D

crickets - pain in the xss (stink, quick escapers, but cheap)
mealworms - too much hard outer shell, not enough good meat
(hard for poopers to digest resulting in possible impaction)
roaches - darn nice feeder (expensive on the onset, but easy to
breed, relatively slow movers, good meat to shell ratio)
superworms - delicious for BD's over 16ish inches for digestive reasons
phoenixworms - no experience, but from word of mouth they're
healthy for BD's but quite expensive and small
butterworms - nice treat for BD's, very fatty kinda like a
candy bar for your pooper
waxworms - don't like them. my pooper had the runs for days
after i fed a few to her. and she wouldn't eat more than 3 or 4 so i
dont think she likes em anyway

Okay, that's some general info. There's a ton of other people who are
way more experienced than me, but I hope this helps.

britanny

Original Poster
Thank you for all your help. I was at the pet store today and I asked one of the girls my same question and she was like well what kind of light do you have and I showed her. The guy that sold it to me told me it was all I needed and it gave off the UVB...turns out it just gave off extra heat and he wasn't getting what he needed...so I ended up spending $86 and now I hope he will be better! He seems to really like the light. He was laying on his leaves where the light was shining down. I got the ReptiGlo 10.

gini

Sub-Adult Member
What you needed is the Repti-Sun 10.0. I'm sorry but the Repti-Glo lights can actually cause harm to a beardie...

Brenda1620x

I got told a normal household bulb will do aslong as its 100watt or more so that it 100-110degrees in the tank at the hotside:D
and a UBV Light ofcorse

Also my baby eats about 30-40 Crix a day
i feed her three times a day, As much as she will eat in 10-15 mins

So maybe she/he just need to eat more, My baby was about urs size now shes a chubby wee thing lol :D
And a lot happier looking
also if u try offering her/him veg for there first feed in the mornin b4 crix because theyl be hungery and most likley eat it
and inbetween feeding them crix lol
Pet stores dont always offer correct advise

Hope ur baby get better xBx
DSC00359.jpg

britanny

Original Poster
Aw I really hope my baby will get better. I ordered him the ReptiSun but I'm just using the Repti Glo until I get the Repti Sun in the mail...I hope he will be fine for the time being...

gini

Sub-Adult Member
If you have ordered the Reptisun and your just waiting for it to come, you can actually shut off the Reptiglo. It will be fine for a few days. Just keep your temps up and the basking light will be fine for a few. Good luck. :D

britanny

Original Poster
I am freaking out :[ I had the repti-glo on and it was only 82 degrees and i know he was really cold, so i took the bulb out and put the other light back in so now he's not getting his UVB...and I just got an e-mail saying that his light is on backorder...I don't know what to do, I'm so afraid he's going to die :[

gini

Sub-Adult Member
Do you have 2 lights over your beardie? One for heat and one that is uvb? Because if you take out the Repti-glo, it shouldn't affect your temps, that is what your other light does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom