any way to enhance appetite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
I have a 3 month old silkie and he is healthy in all respects, but he just does not eat much at all. He does not have parasites and he does gain weight steadily, just not that much. He is 25 grams (weighed 9.3 grams when I got him 6 weeks ago, so he has almost tripled in size in my possession). He will eat a few bites of greens and 1 or 2 butter worms or crickets a day, on a good day, he'll eat up to 5. He's just not interested. Is there anything I can do to enhance his appetite?

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
Have you checked the temparture? It's getting cold out, so I'd double check those temperature with at least two thermometers to get an accurate reading. At this time of year many folks have trouble keeping the temp up. You might want to get a couple more heat lamps to try to warm up the cage on the warm side. that's what I would do.

reddragon087

Juvie Member
have you tried any other feeders, such as reptiworms or phoenix worms? you could also
give him an appetite enhancer like bene-bac if he will not eat.

Infowars

We feed our's Reptiworms, and crickets for treats... BUT no matter when or where she can not get enough Wax worms. I have read they are high if fat, and to treat them like candy. But, if she wasnt eating enough I would feed her more of them. They still have protein in them. I mail order them or most the time Petco has them ( I have to check a few buckets to make sure they are not dead yet :roll: )

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
Is this benebac for reptiles or another animal? I know they have benebac for dogs but I would think that would not be good for bds. I would love to know as my bd is picky and not a great eater. Has always been like that.
Valerie

reddragon087

Juvie Member
Bene-bac has been used by bearded dragon owners for picky eaters, or lethargic bearded dragons.
There are also other appetite enhancers as well you can look up through petco or a petsmart. Keep
trying him on a variety of foods, there is a great nurtrition sheet on the home page. Beardy babies
tend to be the pickiest eaters and a variety gives them options and it makes it easy on the owner to
find what they like.

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I have tried the variety. We have done crickets,dubias { I have a colony} supers,reptiworms,silkworms,wax worms,horn worms, butter worms and an occasional pinkie when all else fails. She will eat one of them for a small amount of time and then stop. Sometimes she won't even try any of the new items. If she does eat any of them it is such a small amount, for example, when fed horm worms she will eat just one for the day. After two days she is done eating hornworms.
She has not eaten in the last two days. I have tried crickets, dubias and supers.
She is a yr old now but has been like this for a while. A while back she was sick with a URI after a time she got better and she was eating like all of the other beardies but now she is back to her old not eating self. But she has always been a small eater and picky to.

So is the bene bac we are talking about is the dog one? I would like to try anything.
Valerie

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
They have bene-bac made specifically for reptiles and birds, but I have heard the one made for small animals will work fine for beardies.

NightmareDisco

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I keep trying him out on lots of different feeders, and he will eat just about anything, just not very much of it. I will look into this bene bac stuff. Thanks guys

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I use the Repashy Calcium Plus to dust the insects and Veggie Dust to dust the veggies. They both have bena-bac, or something like it for reptiles, that promote good microbes in the gut to help balance out the good and bad microbes. My reptiles are eating like champ. :wink:

Valerie

Sub-Adult Member
I have checked everywhere ans I cannot find benebac for birds or reptiles. I have called all of the vets in town, petstores and I checked with a few online stores too.
Valerie
Any other ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom