Another horror story of a big pet store

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
The kid & I went to the really big store to stock up on supplies. Of course we made a beeline for the baby beardies. What did we see but 2 little ones. One climbing all over another one who wasn't moving, or breathing!! I watched for awhile to see if it would take a breath & it didn't. I tapped on the glass to see if it was sleeping & the other one made move so it was almost on its side. The poor thing looked like a wrinkled shriveled old man. I went and informed a clerk who got the keys, who tried to remove the dead one, who then decided it would be better to take the whole viv in the back. At that point I asked to talk to the manager. After searching for her for 10 min he found her. She informs me that the beardie is perfectly OK. It ate a wax worm and it was fine! So I offered to take it right now, that I'm going to school for vet tech & I will even pay full price for it. She tells me that a vet has been called & is on her way but won't be there til 10pm!?! When I mentioned that the thing looked dehydrated and pushed the bath issue over & over again, she tells me its soaking in warm Gatorade right now. I found my daughter who was crying & started to walk out without buying anything. I stopped the manager again & offered to purchase the little critter again. No,no,no. She assured me the vet was coming, but it was OK and had been fine earlier in the day. I didn't push the issue to see it. I figured at that point it was hopeless. I really believe it was dead. I tried to do what I thought was right. Sorry it was horrible and really had to vent. Liz

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
Liz, that's so sad! I'm glad you tried to help that baby!!! I want to save them all, but know I can't. I hope that baby is ok but :( doesnt sound good does it??? I hope your daughter's OK!

*hugs n beardie cuddles* oh wait *more hugs*

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She's my kid, she cries and then says she wants to own a pet store when she grows up so she can do everything right & put the big stores outta biz. Do you think it was sleeping for real or do you think it was dead? I didn't see it ake a breath, I did watch for awhile, though.

dna14

Sub-Adult Member
I really don't know... but if it looked that bad it wasn't well even if it was alive!!! Very sad :( Your daughter's awesome to want to make a difference !

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yup, she is. Although she says she hurt a kid today. :lol: She is the only girl on the football team & today was their first game. She hit the other kid a little too hard I guess. I didn't see it. I think they just put her on a bigger kid after that. Eeeeck, my daughter is a tomboy JOCK!! She is a really awesome kid. Animals are just drawn to her.

I don't know what to think of the whole biz tonite. This is the kinda stuff that always happens to me. This is why I have so many critters. My vet thinks I'm nuts, in a good way, 'cause everyone is well taken care of. I'm rambling. It's late here and I'm not making scense any more. Good night, thanks for the hugs

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
It took me a little while to find this post. I am quite sure that poor little thing was dead. And as for the vet being "on the way", I would guess it to be a blatant lie to get you on your way. If they are sure an animal is dead, they will pull the whole viv and take it to the back "sick room" as discretely as they can to avoid a scene. If they had been checking on these animals as frequently as they are supposed to, they would have noticed an issue sooner. It is horrible, and as far as the "it ate a wax worm" reply, that is B.S., one small waxie for a baby isn't going to do that. The lack of proper care in most petsmarts and petcos is horrible, and it really ticks me off. They really don't care too much if one of the animals dies. They report it to the vender and they get credit for it, then they take the frozen carcass to a local vet that they have made arrangements with to have it disposed of. Their corporate office is more concerned with the loss of fish than any of the other animals, because the fish have a much greater profit margin than the herps or furries. Plain and simple greed! Disgusting isn't it!

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
just a small additional note: They aren't going to pay a vet to come for a sick reptile that only cost them $5 or $10 dollars. They take it to the sick room, attempt to treat it if its still alive. They will take the more expensive birds TO the vet, but usually not any of the herps or furries.

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
I try to warn people away from both stores when I can, the sad thing is that the inexperienced aren't sure where to go for the pet and/or supplies they need or where to get info and these companies spend tons of money on marketing and advertising.

john1967

This is why i buy from a local breeder because i know they are taking care of the right way. PLEASE stay away from petsmart & petco or local paper alot of times their reptiles are sick just out to make some money

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
When people find out that I have beardies, they ask where I got them. I tell them from local, reputable breeders and suggest that they do the same if they are interested-I hate to see them go to the big stores or as you mentioned, classifieds listed by "unknowns". I also tell them where to find my favorite, preferred small store thats owned and operated by someone who actually cares about what he does.

Andylee

I FEEL YOUR PAIN and i must say what a horrible feeling it is. I can not belive that anyone would assume that the poor thing was "just fine". I went to a local store and saw the same EXACT thing, the stu's had them on wood chip substrate much like a hamster. I was sick and me and the store manager def had a talk. Not that i did any good with what i said becuase they think they are the "experts".
Sorry to hear, and sorry your little girl had to experince that.

Rukii

Juvie Member
I will confess, Lotan and Ruki are Petsmart babies.. But that was right before my local reptile shop carried beardies. :/ I feel so bad for those beardie babies at big pet shops. They have terrible tank arrangements, bad lighting, and they sell them when they are just so tiny! One of my friends works at my local Petsmart and I've told her, since she works there, to talk to the manager, her co-workers, or to write letters or SOMETHING. Shes tried so many times, being a beardie owner herself, but they won't accomidate any changes. Shes started to arrange things herself just to find it changed back the way it was, because it was "perfectly fine the way it was", and told her to "not waste any more of their stuff". :angry5:

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Fred isn't from one of those but is probably from a "beardie mill". I tried to find a breeder in the area with no luck. That was before I found this place. I did find a reptile guy who has a girl beardie. I brought Fred to see him. He just fell in love with him. He asked if I would be interested in breeding him next spring to his sandfire girl!! I was proud but... I couldn't do that. Not with all the unwanted beardies out there. Husbandry makes beautiful dragons as all of us with our beardie mill babies can attest to :wink:

Freddiemom

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So we went to the pet store because the kid wanted to (just to check) & the girl we always talk to was there. I told her the story and she asked which manager we spoke to. She just kinda chuckled and mumbled "yeah right, we have gatorade". She pretty much confirmed our suspisions about what happened. She looked so disheartened. So sad. There were no beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom