Alfalfa as a staple veggie? Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyryce

Hatchling Member
I have seen on a website that Alfalfa was recommended as a good staple for the veggie part of the diet. I can only get fresh Alfalfa in the spring and summer. I can however get Organic certified Alfalfa pellets at this time of the year and mixed with some water would this provide some good nutrition in the veggie diet.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this or has added Alfalfa to their beardies diet. I had thought that Alfalfa was always high in Nitrogen...I know Alfalfa is rich and I think when feeding it to cattle it has to be in moderation (but I am no expert on that). Any comments?

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
I used to buy the dried alfalfa pellets for rabbits for my iguana, but he never ate much of it so I stopped giving it to him. Yes, you can use the dry one. I added a little fruit juice to it so it taste better.

neecie

Juvie Member
I've been thinking of growing alfalfa in a few pots - but the only place I've found to buy the seeds is online for minimum 7 lbs..............they assume folks have land to plant in a field. I do know the alfalfa sprouts are NOT recommended for beardies - too bad huh, that would be handy for both of us.

tyryce

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Neecie,

Maybe if your near a seed distributor like here in Canada we have Pioneer seeds ( Agricultural distributer for seeds/fertilizer etc) they would probably hand you over like 10 seeds which is all you would need. Once Alfalfa gets going it grows well and it will regrow from the root. Do you know anyone that farms with a hayfield that contains Alfalfa...they could get you some seed or another idea is that I know here Alfalfa grows in the ditches along the rural roads in the rural areas and you could collect seed that way but you would probably want to make sure that the grasses and ALfalfa wouldn't have been sprayed. If you really want seed the girl I work with..her parents farm adn she could get a hold of seed for you...It would just be like mailing a letter..put a few seeds in an envelope and mail it down!? Not sure how much space you would need but a full grown Alfalfa plant takes up about 1 1/2 ft by 1 1/2 feet and gets a couple of feet tall. you would probably want the creeping root variety because taproot Alfalfa can get roots that are up to a meter deep or something. Maybe you have a small area in your yard where you could plant a couple of plants.

Danielle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom