Aggresive beardie..

Status
Not open for further replies.

aocain

I adopted a female beardie a few months ago. She was ok the day I brought her home and sadly the mate was actually let go and I couldn't bring him with her.( I was very angry they let him go- on a freakin golf course..)
Soon- like the next day she wouldn't let me even put my hand in her cage, shes bitten me several time and hung on for long periods of time when biting. I'm not sure how to get her to calm down or if I'll ever be able to handle her again.. any suggestions?

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I can't help you with your question, as I'm a new beardie owner myself, but I can't believe her previous owners just let another dragon loose on a golf course. How tragic. It seems to me that she might be very mistrusting of humans if her previous owners treated her badly.

Reapix

Hatchling Member
ive heard of getting them use to ur scent, sometimes put a t shirt uve worn in their cage for a while for them to adjust. IDK ive just heard this not tried it.. its previous owners must have mistreated her for her to be mean... BD's are very docile...

aocain

Original Poster
Thanks -
I know they are docile usually my other beardie that had just passed away when I adopted the other one was very sweet she even got on well with the cats they'd all sleep on the couch with me. So I was very surprised when she got so aggressive- she jumps at the screen top everytime I'm close to it- I'm not sure if shes just associating me with food so she jumps or shes trying to intimidate me. I actually got another beardie not long ago and shes docile- almost too shy- so I'm scared to put them together. But I wasn't sure if maybe putting a friend in there would ease her stress or make it worse. I've had her long enough that I'm scared she'll never get used to me now that I haven't handled her since shes given me alot of scars on my fingers..lol.

Sadona

Juvie Member
Wow...a freakin golf course?! Ugh, some people!!!! :angry5: :angry5:
I have never dealt with an aggressive beardie before, but I do have some pointers for ya.
You should probably give her lots of time to get used to her new surroundings, then slowly begin to make yourself known to her. You have to gain trust in each other.
First, sit by her tank and talk to her in soothing tones until she no longer lunges at you through the glass. Don't make any movements to scare her - be very calm, and don't show her you are scared. Try to project "I'm here for you and I will not hurt you."
Once that step is accomplished, begin to put your hands in her tank...maybe moving her tank stuff around, putting in salad or food...do this until she stops trying to bite/run at you. When ever she does run at you, swiftly dodge her...remember, slow, fluid movements.
From there on, progress from trying to come closer to her to petting her, and finally pick her up.
If you have to handle her before she is ready, use slow movements and wrap her up in a towel if need be.
After a while, she will get the hint that you won't hurt her. Its hard to overwrite what happened to her before, but it can be done with time, patience and love.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom