Afraid of cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gail

BD.org Addict
I took my new little beardie outside for the first time today. Normally I wouldn't take a baby outside unless it was in a tub but this little guy is extremely curious and unafraid of most things. We hung out by the pond and he did really well, walked around on the bricks, had a nibble of thyme and watched the sky.
He was curious but unafraid of birds and people walking by but whenever a car would go by, he would jump on me and go completely flat. I know its the size and movement that scares him but if he wants to continue with outside trips, he has to get used to vehicles.
Has anyone else had a beardie afraid of cars or some other large objects? Should I just ignore his behavior and continue to expose him to outside? Not a lot of traffic on my street but enough that he will see a couple cars every time we go outside.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
We have a lot of planes flying rather low in and out of the airport in Boise. When they were babies mine were scared. I would go and crouch next to them and put my hand on their backs so they felt safe. I need to do that when the warm season starts, as well. They do get somewhat used to it, to the point where I usually just have to talk to them. If they look really scared I'll pick them up. Plane activity gives one a bit more notice than a car, however. I'm sure in time your little guy will get used to it. I sure wouldn't deprive him of the opportunity of going outside unless he was traumatized.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Thanks Esther, I'll keep him safe and hope he eventually gets used to the cars some. He will go on a leash as soon as he is big enough so I won't worry as much.
There is a small private airport about 1/4 mile away but luckily the planes don't usually fly over this part of town.

SDragon

Juvie Member
"but if he wants to continue with outside trips, he has to get used to vehicles."

Does he? It doesn't sound like it's a choice he has made. Some bearded dragons don't repsonse well to all the stimuli outside. Imo if that's the case it needs to accepted and them not put through unnecessary stress. He may well lose his fear, but it shoudl be done carefully and of it continues to stress him accepted that it isn't in the best interests of the lizard.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds to me like he enjoys the outside time but the cars are what cause stress. If you stay near him and he knows you're safe then that will help based on my experience. My Coop used to love outside time but when a helicopter came near he'd dart across the lawn to me and hide on me (we live next to a hospital with a helipad so this was frequent). I held him and when the helicopter passed he was fine and would go running around again. He also enjoyed looking out the window on car trips but tractor trailers scared him. He'd skitter away from the window and seek comfort if one came close to the car. Otherwise he was fine and would be alert and watching out the window with a nice white beard seemingly happy. Just let him know you're safe and stick close if he runs the risk of getting near cars or any of the other things that scare him but otherwise let him enjoy outside time. It's one of the treats we can provide them with.

Gail

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
SDragon":1spsocp2 said:
"but if he wants to continue with outside trips, he has to get used to vehicles."
Does he? It doesn't sound like it's a choice he has made.

Really? did I say that he is going to go outside if he likes it not? Did I say he will be forced to interact with cars? If being outside was stressful to the point of being dangerous, I won't make him go. Last I heard, going flat while sitting on their owner wasn't "OMG, he's stressed and is going to die!!"

Cooper, he does really like outside. Every morning he sits on the window sill watching the world go by, he's alert but not scared at all and I can go about my business in the room while he hangs out in the sun.
When we do go outside, he immediately jumps down to the bricks around the pond, positions himself on the thyme plant and just watches. He has never ran from anything out of fear except the temp gun, for some reason he doesn't like that little black thing.

He doesn't seem excessively afraid of cars, they've never made him bolt. If they are in the distance, he will get really tall, almost standing on his hind legs to watch them. Its only when they drive by the house when we are outside that they bother him.

TheDragonKeepers

Sub-Adult Member
Tsam worries and hunkers down if he hears a motorbike, through the window or outdoors - but once it's gone, he's all sunshine and rainbows again.
Jacques was startled by a loose leaf in the wind last time we were out - so he hid between my feet until it was safe to come back out.
It's nice to be trusted. :)

saru

My Slick absolutely HATES cars and car rides. Whenever we travel we have to put him under a blankie, otherwise he completely spazzes out and tries to hide under the seats.

I think each beardie has their own fears, like humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nekov
Top Bottom