Advise Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I made a harness for my bearded dragon, Professor. I made it out of a soft, stretchy fabric, and sewed it so it won't fall apart. Everything fits good. I was suprised he actually let me put it on him, but since it is stretchy it was pretty easy. Now I was just wanting some advice on how to leash train him? He kind of just looks at me and doesn't walk at all! I don't want to drag him on the ground but how do I get him used to the leash? Any advice is much appreciated:)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Someone else may have more to say - but it's sounds like he's about at leash trained as a dragon gets. He should eventually get used to it and become comfortable enough to have a little wander about.You can try offering him insects or treats if that usually can catch his interest.

Leads for me are more to ensure that the dragon won't escape than anything - I just sit in the yard and let him wander if/when he's ready.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Takes them a little time to get used to the leashes and like Tater said, distract him with insects or treats so that he isn't thinking about wearing the leash.

When wearing them, they won't walk alongside you like a dog but instead you let them roam as they want while holding onto it so they can't get away & will be safe.

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
I always say my sunset walks me i dont walk her When she feels like walking or burying into the grass i just follow on the end of the leash She chooses where we go and when we go I have ended up sitting in the same spot in the grass because sunset found a good sunning spot lol

debsnelling

Original Poster
Yeah, I knew he wouldn't actually walk with me, but I liked the idea that he could kind of venture and I wouldn't have to worry. But I'm not so sure that he likes the leash. I took him out in my backyard and set him down in the sun. Then he started running around with his leash on. So I kinda followed behind to see how it was going.... Well about a minute later he had his beard all puffed out and would not let me get near him without opening his mouth. So I slowly got him in my hand and put him in his tank until he calmed down.
I take him out in the backyard all the time and usually he's fine, but he also usually isn't allowed to roam around freely since I didn't have a leash before. I don't want to keep trying and just freaking him out. Should I keep trying and just do it slowly or just give up? He's about 7 months old now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemommma
Top Bottom