Accidental Oversized Cricket! Please Read!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the other day when I picked up some crickets, I got home and noticed that one of them was huge. Like, WAY bigger than the space between Toulouse's eyes. It was honestly intimidating looking. Well, obviously I had no intention of ever feeding it to Toulouse (who, as you might recall, is a baby). Well anyway, I have this cricket keeper that has the black tubes for feeding and a few times I've accidentally dropped this big cricket in (it's hard to tell size based on the silhouettes in those tubes) and it hasn't been a big deal because I take it out quickly. Well, just now, I went to give Toulouse some crickets and the big one dropped in again... but before I could grab it out, he pounced on it and ate it. He seems to be okay, but I'm quite worried. Someone tell me this one time slip up isn't the end of the world, I feel terrible.

Irwinshealth

Sub-Adult Member
Definitely not the end of the world. :D This has happened to many people. Just keep an eye that he has regular stools for the next few day. If you see a difference just start the impaction protocol. In case you don't know this means.....warms baths, tummy rubs, and if it got bad maybe a tad bit of mineral oil. I honestly don't think you will have to worry about it. It was only one cricket. Toulouse just had a extra hardy meal tonight :lol: You can sleep sound tonight. I'm sure hell be fine

oneandoneandone

Original Poster
Haha, thank you! I know I'm just being all paranoid and whatnot but I thought I'd check. I do know what impaction protocol is and thankfully his stools have been good and he's eating pretty well too, so I haven't had to initiate said protocol, lol
Thanks for the reassurance!

Russell84

Hatchling Member
The main fear with giving them oversized food is that they suffercate and choke to death when trying to swallow it. If shes still around then all is good :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Babies can often swallow a large prey item, the main health risk is definitely impaction, sometimes so severe that it causes hind leg extension, the shakes and partial paralysis, as it presses on the spine. That doesn't happen too often, but it's a definite risk, especially with small babies, under 7 inches. By the time a dragon is over 8 inches, it doesn't seem to be as much at risk, and especially if they are very healthy to begin with, but a tiny 5 or 6 inch baby can easily die when they can't digest a too -large prey item.

krusty46

Not trying to hijack, but I was just coming here to ask the same question. My local shop seems to lump medium and large together and we seem to be getting 1 or 2 large ones per batch. Gimli makes quick work of them. He is between 8-9'' so not really a baby anymore. I shouldn't really worry and just let him eat? He expresses no interest when I offer him the small crickets.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
No harm in tossing the big one outside. I've done that more than once. Do you have a tongs to grab the little devils?

oneandoneandone

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the info and the reassurance, haha
Toulouse is fine today. He had his regular poo and seems to be doing great, so he's all good, I'd say.
Just another case of overly-anxious-beardie-slave, looks like. :p

Lol I've felt like an overly-anxious-beardie-slave since I got mine about a month ago... I sure love the little guy, but I hope it gets easier!!

Good luck with yours!

oneandoneandone

Original Poster
I feel like this is an ongoing process. Every time I overcome an anxiety and figure something out, something else pops up that makes me all stressed out again. I think it's because he's still so new and little and fragile. When I was at work today, a lady came in and we got to talking and she mentioned she had a bearded dragon and she said it definitely gets easier/less stressful, so here's hoping.
Good luck with yours too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trishreyhui
Top Bottom