about to lay then didn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Hello, I posted here last week about my 1 year old female beardie. She started displaying symptoms of egg laying (cratting around, restless, going off food slighlty- not completely, pooing more often due to activity I believe etc. At first I thought she was being restless due to a recent shed, so I then thought egg laying so provided her with an egg laying box (moist sand etc).

However, she never completely went off her food and she has always been a chubby dragon, I did think she felt a little fatter and I am not sure if what I can feel is eggs or just how she always has been, tey don't seem like how they are described. During her active phase which lasted just over a week, she never once dug in the box she was just scratching at the walls running up and down etc etc. I dug her a hole not interested.

All of a sudden the other day she woke as normal and is back to herself. She eats well as always, goes to bask cold end to warm etc etc, she is absolutely fine.

The only change is that she had a drink in the bath which she has only done 3 times since I got her (had her from 2 months) and her belly feels a little more bloated, harder than usual, all of it not just an area. There is no impaction I am aware of because she is passing stools as normal.

Is it possible for beardies to go through this phase then back to normal without laying?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance- set up correct temps etc

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Yep, they can do all that, and then not lay any eggs. Thats not to say that she might not still lay,,,but it is possible that she won't. Sometimes they can self absorb the eggs. Sometimes they can get egg bound, which can be fatal. You need to watch for sudden weight loss and dehydration.
If it makes you feel any better, my girl started digging in the dirt outside last April. I got her a lay box and she dug a complete tunnel / cave, played around in her lay box for a couple days,,,then nothing. About 1 1/2 weeks ago she started the same thing. I redid her lay box so it was like new and she dug another cave / tunnel.
Then out of the blue she went into brumation last Friday!!! Go figure!!

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Argh they are such a worry she has been drinking a little which she doesn't normally do. But no weight loss no lethargy so I am not worried but just asked. I hope she does lay or absorbs, I just don't want her to get egg bound :( She is infertile so I know she hasn't been with another dragon. It was just all crazy then back to normal so removed the sand etc as the humidity was getting high. I will leave her for now do you suggest? Only if she goes into that behaviour again then put a new box in?

I have never experienced this before!

Thanks

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HELP. She just did something and it scare me, when I went to give her some veg she saw the bowl and was really excited for it so went to walk over, as she did she like arched her whole body (so the arch was her lifting her belly up like an upside down letter U. I've never seen her do this?????

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, I have no ideal about that, you should pm Drache613, her real name is Tracie and she will be able to help you...that would freak me out too. How is she now??

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She is absolutely fine :D She did this breifly the other day but that was when she was arranging herself on her basking rock, I don't know if it is because she has a bit more of a chubby belly but it was weird and today it scared the life out of me! I need some input I don't know how to PM on here so if you could get Tracy to look that would be great

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
That is good that she hasn't done it anymore. I will message Tracie and ask her to take a look at your post.
Kelly

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you it was very strange, she has never been a very dominant dragon and I've seen her puff her beard about 8 times in almost a year, and I think that was just to stretch, I know they can puff up their bodies etc as I have seen videos you know to "look scary" and she did this for the first time the other week and ran away and hissed after the bath. It was like that today but so strange it looked like she arched her belly upwards with her back up and walked on all fours but very lightly like tiptoes no idea what's going on still eating like a pig and as I say no more crazy behaviour just bloated and chubbier around the belly

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
YouTube "baby bearded dragon puffing up" it was just like that but no puffed beard and it was only when she got up to walk to the veg for about 2 seconds then back to normal

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is odd behavior!
She could have been in some pain possibly or did it look more like a seizure?

If she was/is carrying eggs, she could be reabsorbing them too that can happen in females sometimes.
How is her appetite, is she still eating a decent amount, or no?

Tracie

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It looks like she's just getting comfy and it happend again this morning like she moves normal most of the time and then the odd time she stands high up and arches a little like I said. She is eating loads as usual

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Too bad you couldn't get a video of it...I realize that would be just about impossible though!!

NathanNatalie3002

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Tracy, sorry I didn't really answer very well earlier, it is not like a seizure and I don't think it's pain as she always knocks her stomach and i pick her up etc. Maybe she is reabsorbing them like you say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom