4 month old beardie not ate for a week now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my bearded dragon for about 2 months now, he was eating perfectly up until a week ago... He injured his arm by jumping off my bed when i was handling him, i took him to a vet in which he had 2 injections which were to bring down any swelling. His arm only took a few days to then fully recover and is perfectly fine. However now he hasnt ate for a week and isnt even eating any treats such as calci worms or waxworms let alone crickets, locusts or veg.... do you think it could be due to stress (vets) or what? Aswell as not eating he has been shaking (tremors) when i go to handle him and once he is out the vivarium he trembles for about 30 seconds and then it stops and he only does it when i first pick him up

3ftx2ftx2ft vivarium
Beach chips substrate
Reptisun 10.0
basking area - 105-10 degrees f
Cold end - 80-85 degrees f
Dust food with calcium 5 times a week
dust food with vitimin once a week

I handle him every day and he seems fine when being handled, i give him water every day by spraying it onto his mouth and he drinks fine. I bathe him 3-4 times a week also

Any help would be awesome!!

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Possibly you mean Beech wood chips for substrate? It is also called Beach wood. {Sadly some uneducated pet shops recommend some bad things for bearded dragons.}

The first thing is any and all wood is a horrible substrate. Uncomfortable for them to walk on, the possibility of being wounded or getting slivers is high. Dragons lick to identify, the wood chips can be ingested and cause an impaction or perforated bowel and they will die a horribly painful death.

On to the worse news. Phenols are toxic and can cause death to bearded dragons. It is found in wood. Particularly Pine is noted for it. Beech wood has the highest phenol of any trees, higher than even pine. Also Wood Tar Creosote is derived from Beech wood trees.

Here are some links for information telling about the high Phenolics.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3116155/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creosote

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/beachwood-uno-belgian-style-single/148603/

I would suggest since he's been on this for a couple of months he may be poisoned. I'd remove it immediately, discard everything you can. Anything hard that you want to keep like hide or feeding dish must scrubbed and rinsed thoroughly to remove the phenols. I'd take him to a vet and let the vet know what he was housed on for substrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom