3 mth old is sleeping/lathargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

3by3

Got "cricket" on january 31st when he was 2 mths old. Frisky. Eats 12 crickets and 3 bites of romaine per day. Bath every other day. Dust crickets with calcium once a week. Basking spot 105 degrees. Ubv side of 55 gallon tank is 70 degrees. He rarely leaves his basking side of tank. We hold him daily. We offer many fruits and veggies. Ubv 15 watts zilla is the brand. Basking watts 150. Zoo med is the brand. Critter country pellets is the brand of bedding. He poops twice a day half black half white. Tues afternoon he ate a 2inch piece of earthworm. Thurs morning he only ate 5 crickets in 2 hours and will barely wake up. Fri he ate 3 crickets and pooped once. Sat he ate one piece of romaine and one poop. Sunday no food and no poop. Still so sleepy and limp. Today, monday morning he pooped half black half white and his color changed alot! 2 dark cicles on his shoulders and his whole body is 2 shades darker. He walked to his water bowl today and is peeling on his left foot. I have been misting and rubbing his nose with luke warm water, which he does lick off. Can a vet help me? Is he dying? Should i mash superworms or crickets and force feed?? Thanks for your time!!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

First off, Romaine is not a very good green to be feeding. Here is a good list of foods (good and bad) to feed:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Are the 12 crickets he eats a day, is that as much as he wants to eat or are you limiting him? Beardies that young should be offered live insects 2-3 times a day, and as much as they can eat in a 10-15 minute time span. When my girl was as young as yours she would eat more crickets then you are feeding in 1 feeding. And she would do it two more times a day too.

You dust the crickets with calcium once a week? You should be doing it around 5-6 times a week. Babies need the calcium as their bones grow.

Your basking spot is good, but are you measuring it with an accurate tool? Are you using a digital with probe, a dial stick on, or a temp gun?

Your uvb is also a problem. Zilla uvb bulbs have been known to cause health problems in beardies. You need to switch it out for either the reptisun 10.0 or the arcadia 12%.

I would loose the loose substrate. Loose substrate is not recommended as it harbors bacteria and some loose substrates pose and impaction risk. Tile, newspaper, papertowels, repticarpet, and NON-adhesive shelf liner all are much better, safer, and cleaner substrates to use.

Shedding also usually causes a decrease in appetite and grumpyness so that could be why your baby is acting funny. But you should adress the above points too for the health of your dragon.

-Brandon

AllanonsWrath

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":3o2uddq6 said:
Hi there,

First off, Romaine is not a very good green to be feeding. Here is a good list of foods (good and bad) to feed:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Are the 12 crickets he eats a day, is that as much as he wants to eat or are you limiting him? Beardies that young should be offered live insects 2-3 times a day, and as much as they can eat in a 10-15 minute time span. When my girl was as young as yours she would eat more crickets then you are feeding in 1 feeding. And she would do it two more times a day too.

You dust the crickets with calcium once a week? You should be doing it around 5-6 times a week. Babies need the calcium as their bones grow.

Your basking spot is good, but are you measuring it with an accurate tool? Are you using a digital with probe, a dial stick on, or a temp gun?

Your uvb is also a problem. Zilla uvb bulbs have been known to cause health problems in beardies. You need to switch it out for either the reptisun 10.0 or the arcadia 12%.

I would loose the loose substrate. Loose substrate is not recommended as it harbors bacteria and some loose substrates pose and impaction risk. Tile, newspaper, papertowels, repticarpet, and NON-adhesive shelf liner all are much better, safer, and cleaner substrates to use.

Shedding also usually causes a decrease in appetite and grumpyness so that could be why your baby is acting funny. But you should adress the above points too for the health of your dragon.

-Brandon
Very good advice. Also you posted in the wrong section of the forums. I'm sure a mod will move it soon though.

3by3

Original Poster
I am not limiting crickets. He stops after 5 or 6 and eats 5 or 6 more later in the day. I will switch greens and ubv asap. My thermometer is stick on dial so I will switch that too. I really dont think he is going to eat agin today though. Should I blend cricketsw/dust and and greens in a syringe?? Should I go to the vet? Thank you so much for your time! This is my first bearded dr and my first time on website. How do I post in the right forum??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think that is necessary at the moment.

It could just be husbandry issues that is making him not eat and be lethargic.

Once you make those changes there is a very good chance your baby will be acting normal.

I would try to make the changes ASAP.

-Branodn

3by3

Original Poster
Temperatures were acurate. I bought a digital with probe. Endive and squash but he didnt eat any yet :( he drinks water when I put it on his nose today and he walked around a few times! Hoping he eats tomorrow!!! If anyone on here is from northwest Indiana, I am having trouble finding a uvb light that isnt zilla brand?? I can order online but was hoping to change it asap. Should I change bedding tonight or should I wait til he is feeling better? I dont want to stress him more.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I'm glad you got a digital with probe.

Did you place the probe end on the basking SURFACE and leave it there for 45 minutes to get a reading?

You very well might have to order online. That is fine though as usually you can find them cheaper online than you could for in a store. Depending on where you buy from, they usually ship pretty fast.

-Brandon

3by3

Original Poster
I did leave it for an hour in both spots. Basking and the cooler end. Now I have it on to see the overnight temp. At what point do I force feed him? He hasnt eaten since saturday morning and that wasnt much!

3by3

Original Poster
Well, our baby didnt make it :'( thank you for all you advice!! We will try again soonand I will use all you taught me from day one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom