16 Year Old Beardie... Euthanization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dali10109

Hi all... I'm the proud owner of a 16 year old bearded dragon (his brother actually passed away only two months ago). Unfortunately he's having a lot of issues, and at this point I am almost 100% positive it's due to age and not care. I have taken him to vets that have said the same thing. He's extremely skinny now and wont eat (though he will drink water). For over a year I have only been able to get him to eat things by literally rubbing them on his mouth until he gets annoyed and opens his mouth a bit to where I can put the side of some lettuce or a cricket or something into his mouth, after which he starts chewing and eats it. Its a daily routine, no matter what I feed him. He's blind in one eye due to an eye infection a few years ago and barely moves at all... but like I said he's been this way for years. As awful as it sounds I feel like the poor thing is so old he's trying to die, but I won't let him. Id absolutely HATE to do this, but should I euthanize him? I dont know what to do :( My poor guy is just a vegetable.

--I'd probably be horrified to read a post about someone thinking about killing their own lizard, but after a year of pissing him off on a daily basis to force feed him I'm beginning to think this isn't humane/natural... :/

Brandonforty2

Juvie Member
Sadly, I would have to say yes. I think it would be best for him. It sounds like you love him very much and it will be hard. He has lived pretty long. Most beardies live to be around 8 years.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Sadly, I would have to agree. If any of my animals lived about twice as long as the average, I would feel very proud at having a huge part in that. I did have a cat that at 19 years old, tried to die but just couldn't cross over without help. Yes, it was the sadest vet ride ever, but I knew it was best.

Spikey92

Juvie Member
I think everybody knows how hard it is to make that decision,but it might be the best.
Id enjoy the last days with him and tell him how much I love him and that he shouldnt be afraid.some of you may find this ridiciolous but I think it helps a lot to take the animals fear or at least try to_Of course it will be hard once hes gone but at least you know that he knew he was loved and he knew he was gonna go to a better place without any pain and where he can be a young dragon again enjoying as many worms as he wants.

william488

Juvie Member
Spikey92":139k977x said:
I think everybody knows how hard it is to make that decision,but it might be the best.
Id enjoy the last days with him and tell him how much I love him and that he shouldnt be afraid.some of you may find this ridiciolous but I think it helps a lot to take the animals fear or at least try to_Of course it will be hard once hes gone but at least you know that he knew he was loved and he knew he was gonna go to a better place without any pain and where he can be a young dragon again enjoying as many worms as he wants.

I agree, I also think it helps calm the owner who is left behind to start to cope with the loss.

I feel it will be hard on you but will be what is best for your beardie. enjoy your last few days and then let him rest in the desert in the sky with all the crawlies he can eat.

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
if you have to ask the question it means you've already made up your mind. Sorry for your loss, hang in there.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry you're going through this. It is an extremely hard decision. A few yrs ago, I had to make this final decision for our female, Sabrina. She lost her quality of life and wasn't enjoying it any longer so I knew it was time. She had started losing wt, wasn't really moving much and she would hardly eat any baby food at all. When she did wasn't really responding to us much Memorial weekend, I knew the time had come. The vet was wonderful and put her in a small oxygen tank with something similar to chloroform and put a small amount on a cloth and enclosed her with it. She breathed it in and very slowly went to sleep peacefully. The vet spent about 20 min with us and made sure she was totally gone before he placed her in her carrier for us to bring her home. I felt that this was the last thing that I could do for her.

Our male was over 10 yrs old when he passed in June. It was evident that he was slowing down. We would try to feed him but he got to the point that he was just spitting out the food or not wanting to swallow it. He would try to be active like he had been in the past but would tire out very quickly. We knew it was close to his time but he didn't appear to be suffering at all. The same day that we had another beardie arrive, my son carried Judas to show her to him. He looked at her, let out a big sigh and collapsed in his hands. We swear that he was waiting for us to get another beardie in our household to care for before he was finally able to give in to pass on and he died about 4 hrs later. They will try to hold on for us and sometimes you do need to give them permission to let go.

We know you will make the right decision and remember to do what is right for him, he loves you very much and wouldn't have survived this long without your wonderful care.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Dali10109":3krclsnq said:
:( Damn. How would I go about doing this...

You'd take him to the vet and have him put down.

My male was 8 years old and he started doing the same thing yours is doing. I knew it was his time to go, and he passed away on New Years day of this year. I know it's hard, but sometimes we have to let them go, or talk to them and tell them that it's ok for them to go.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Mistyck":2onuvpoc said:
Dali10109":2onuvpoc said:
:( Damn. How would I go about doing this...

You'd take him to the vet and have him put down.

My male was 8 years old and he started doing the same thing yours is doing. I knew it was his time to go, and he passed away on New Years day of this year. I know it's hard, but sometimes we have to let them go, or talk to them and tell them that it's ok for them to go.
It is amazing how smart they are and I agree with Brandi that sometimes we have to tell them that is is ok for them to let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom