Custom Dubia container....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
I see lots of wonderful custom vivs for the BD, but it seems that everyone stores their roaches in the Rubbermaid boxes. I also see a ton of questions about problems with keeping the dubia container warm enough, presumably because of the thin plastic containers.

If we end up getting a BD, my plan is to make a stand to fit the viv. The stand will have two drawers in the front that will be where I contain the dubias (in a sort of slide out box). Rather than trying to find a rubbermaid box to fit, I'm planning on just making my own. Lowe's sells half sheets of melamine covered board (3/4 - 2'x8') for pretty cheap, iirc. The plan would be to make a box with a hinged lid, and maybe even wrap some 1" polystyrene insulation around it. I figure the total cost would be about 20$, and would solve any problems with maintaining temperature. I don't want to be running back and forth from where they are stored to the BD everytime they need to feed, so it seemed really convenient to have them all in one spot.

Any concerns with this idea? I'm assuming they won't be able to climb the melamine boards, and I'm hoping there wont' be any issues storing them so close to the BD. It may be tricky to initially set it up, but this would also allow me to use the "exhaust" air from the Viv to heat the dubias.

Am I forgetting about anything? :banghead:

i spent 3 bucks for a big rubbermaid container and use an old human heatpad and it works wonders... i dont think its worth making a custom cage for roaches. id save the money for food for the roaches

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Original Poster
JeffSimpson":3d64f said:
Am I forgetting about anything? :banghead:

Turns out I was forgetting about something, specifically cleaning it. I know that most only clean it every few months, but I hadn't planned on making it removable... not something I could easily remove and shake out anyway. Hmm... I'll have to think about this one I guess. 8)

crazyseany

Hatchling Member
Sunshinessmile":90d5b said:
you could just vac it out instead of like shaking it....

That idea sucks! Pun FULLY intended!

Easy solution... Would there be a concern for airborne microparticles of roach poo?

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
:puke: roach poo particles! I think cleaning the poo of any feeder is the worst part. I would try to make the drawer removable so you don't have to worry about a pooey vac!

VEGASLIZARD

Sub-Adult Member
has anyone tried this, it kinda looks like the cricket bins they use at the pet store. I have one that I keep dog food in. They make them that can store up to 100 lbs of food so that would be pretty big
pPETS-3756553t400.jpg

* Small: Stack-N-Stor 40 (holds 27-29 lbs of food) - 15.25"W x 15"H x 12.5"D
* Medium: Stack-N-Stor 65 (holds 55-60 lbs of food) – 15.25"W x 17.75"H x 18.2"D
* Large: Stack-N-Stor 100 (holds 72-79 lbs of food) – 15.25"W x 20.75"H x 20.5"D

JeffSimpson

Juvie Member
Original Poster
VEGASLIZARD":cd43c said:
has anyone tried this, it kinda looks like the cricket bins they use at the pet store. I have one that I keep dog food in. They make them that can store up to 100 lbs of food so that would be pretty big

* Small: Stack-N-Stor 40 (holds 27-29 lbs of food) - 15.25"W x 15"H x 12.5"D
* Medium: Stack-N-Stor 65 (holds 55-60 lbs of food) – 15.25"W x 17.75"H x 18.2"D
* Large: Stack-N-Stor 100 (holds 72-79 lbs of food) – 15.25"W x 20.75"H x 20.5"D

I'd be worried about crickets jumping out... if you use them for dubias, it seems like it would be hard to sort through them. Considering a 22gal rubbermaid bin is $5 or so at Walmart, I'm not sure if there would be any advantage to them?

cdizzle

I think a good way to keep them.. is to make a pull out drawer type thing and let them live on a fiberglass window screen. The poo will go right through the screen into the drawer underneath because its small and the dubias will be fine on top with egg crates and food and water dishes. Just a thought. I havent tried it out.. because i lack the construction skills to do so...

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
you could do what i did and make a styrofoam box that fits around the rubbermaid. . . insulation problem solved and it runs off of a heat cable and a big apple herpstat. . its set it and forget it.

i also use a small cat waterer and feeder. . .i only have to put more food and water in every month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sohaiko
Top Bottom