Collecting faecal matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Hey guys, I'm suspicious my first beardie (3 months old) may have parasites, and so I'm taking her to the vet on Wednesday.
My problem is, she doesn't poop very much, usually every other day. I have a little container to put it in, but I heard I need to get the poop fresh? Is that true?
I have school and I'm not home until 3, by that time the poop is usually dried up and probably worthless in a faecal test.

So, how can I collect some poop for a faecal? Thanks guys

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Most beardie will go in the bath...I suggest trying one before you go to school. You can use this fecal sample just scoop it up letting the water drain off and place it in the container and frig.
Let the vet know that your sample came from the bath.

Hope all is well with your little one!

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
If you can't get a fresh one the vet may be able to get her to go. They can either swab inside the vent or use an instrument that usually makes them go. The problem is parasites can't withhold high heat so once it sits for a little in the warm viv they won't be able to tell if there's any. I'm sure your not the first one that can't get a fresh sample! Good luck, and make sure if he does have parasites, you use a probiotic with the meds because they are very harsh on their systems and they wipe out all good bacteria as well so a probiotic will put that bacteria back, you want to use it during and a few weeks after treatment. Some vets done tell you this...

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Getting worried guys! Tried just giving her a 20 minute bath, it's now 18:05 and she'll be going to bed in a second! No poop today, I tried to give her a bath just now, she nearly fell asleep in it and still no poop. Running out of ideas! :banghead:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
There's always like bdalton said the swab...sometimes we have to resort to that.

When you have her in the bath have you tried massaging her tummy in small circular motions from the top right side of her body down toward vent? This will often stimulate them to go. Just a thought!

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":14053irm said:
There's always like bdalton said the swab...sometimes we have to resort to that.

When you have her in the bath have you tried massaging her tummy in small circular motions from the top right side of her body down toward vent? This will often stimulate them to go. Just a thought!
Yeah I did try that :( And I think she was kinda trying, her back legs almost shook as she kinda strained? Does taht imply she's trying to poop? Or could I have been holding her too tight and she wanted to wriggle free :|

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
If she slightly arched her tail at the base and did a little butt wiggle then yes she may have been trying.

When and what did she last eat? How often is she eating?
How often is she getting bathed or water?

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Her eating pattern is really out of sync at the moment, this week she decided not to eat atall for 3 days, then about 30 crickets each day for a few days, today only 10. I've been in contact with Tracie about it, and I'm at the vet tomorrow for hopefully more answers.
She's well hydrated, she always has a white urate in her poop so thats all good, she gets bathed a few times a week, despite her hate for water :lol:

This is off topic, but I just realised I think her viv has been too hot, I've been running a 60watt bulb and her ReptiSUN 10.0, and i've been measuring her warm side as her basking spot, so the warm sides been around 100-105F.. could this be playing a factor in why she goes to bed early, doesn't eat much, and thus doesn't poop much?

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Oh, yes it can!
So am I getting this right you do not have a thermometer or probe directly on the basking spot? Rather just at the warm end??? Correct?
If your basking end has an ambient temp of 100* to 105* then your basking spot could easily measure as much as 20 degrees more.
What type of thermometer do you use? If you don't mind I ask???

Incorrect temps can cause several different behaviors lack of appetite and wanting to lay on cool end or hide would be the most commonly noticed.

If you are in contact with Tracie about the issues with your beardie you are on the right road...she's heaven sent... :D

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
fresnowitte":284spvmo said:
Oh, yes it can!
So am I getting this right you do not have a thermometer or probe directly on the basking spot? Rather just at the warm end??? Correct?
If your basking end has an ambient temp of 100* to 105* then your basking spot could easily measure as much as 20 degrees more.
What type of thermometer do you use? If you don't mind I ask???

Incorrect temps can cause several different behaviors lack of appetite and wanting to lay on cool end or hide would be the most commonly noticed.

If you are in contact with Tracie about the issues with your beardie you are on the right road...she's heaven sent... :D
Haha yeah she's supported me this last week when I've been worried about her not eating and such!
Correct, my probe thermometer is on the basking end, not the basking spot. I placed it on the basking spot and measured for a bit and it was reaching around 112F, so I've replaced that 60watt bulb with a 40watt bulb.

I got her about 2 months ago, and she was fine, eating as much as I gave her, pooped fine (After her relocation stress), and went to bed reasonably late, then I suddenly thought that my warm end was too low, it was low 90's, and I must have gotten it mixed up and assumed basking spot temperature was warm side temperature, and for the past month her warm sides been around 100-105F. I've now put back in just her 40watt bulb and will see how she goes tomorrow, aswell as my vet visit which I am still searching for poop!

I'm using an exoterra probe thermometer, so that's all good and accurate. The symptoms you listed of being too hot do sound quite similar. I normally have to wake her up, and the stays up for a few hours, then returns to her cool spot the whole day, she has a lack of appetite too.. so i'm guessing that's it. We'll see how it goes tomorrow with the 40watt bulb. Would low to mid 90's be okay for the warm end then? :roll:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Is there any way you could attach your thermometer probe directly to the basking spot? You really need to know this actual temperature. It's not safe guessing by the ambient temperature of the basking end because depending on the ambient temp of your house, wattage of basking bulb, etc.. this could affect/change it. And basically we only have 15* safe temperature range to play with for the basking spot. :wink:

The basking spot itself must be at least 95* for food to digest...no higher than 110* or they will overheat. For smaller beardies up to 110* as they get older they like the lower end toward 95*.

Oddly enough the symptoms for being to hot are closely the same as if they were to cold with the exception of when cold they will be darker in color and possibly a spotted belly.

Good luck with a poop before the appointment. :)

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Just got home after having her 40watt on all day, and unfortunatley her basking spot only reaches 85F !! And the next bulb up is the 60watt and that hits 112F, what can I dooo?

I managed to get a poop out of her! However I guess due to her lack of crickets it was only a teeny one, and the poop seems to have merged into the urate, however that's never happened before? I guess it's good I can show the worst case scenario (todays poop) to the vet though!
Now it's just trying to get her temperatures right :|

bdalton

Sub-Adult Member
112* isn't terribly high...is there anyway to lower her basking spot about an inch? Even an inch will make a difference ad probly get you to about 105-108, or I've taken a 2x4 and made little blocks to prop the dome up a little bit. I know in the room with my dragons if it's a few degrees too hot I can turn the ceiling fan on and it drops its a few degrees as well.
Or you can use the 40 watt and raise the basking spot if possible.
What are you using as a basking spot? If its a rock you can get a peice of slate tile or flat rock from your hardware store ad put the rock on top, this will raise it a little or if it's a stick you should be able to adjust it and same with a hammock.

Nathan1995

Juvie Member
Original Poster
She's on a tree root, and I'm alreayd using the lowest edge of the root as the basking spot. The light's 6 inches away, and I don't want to burn her. So raising it is out the window :( and it's already at the lowest point as I said, oh problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom