one eye open

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
is this when he is sleeping or awake?
sleeping with an eye open means that there is a light on. any kind of light keep them awake.

if awake, they are focusing on one thing on the side of them they usually close the other eye to see it. Tasty Treat does this a lot. if she can't turn all the way around to see something she closes one eye.

unless his eyes look swollen all the time or runny i would say it's normal

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Clayton is about 4 months , it doesnt matter if he.is under his lights or out he does it eother way.....

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If something is affecting Clayton's eyes, he would be prone to doing it no matter where he is that's why Sherry asked the questions about the substrate and light. Could you fill us in on the substrate on the bottom of his tank and what brand & type of UVB you're using and what the distance is of that particular bulb? Also is the UVB right alongside a bright white basking bulb?

adkpugmom

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He has paper towels, reptisun coil 100 and yes together with his heat light...temp at 105...

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
SherryInFL":39a970ru said:
It may be the reptisun coil. Coils = no good usually and eye problems.
Bingo. Coils and compacts are known to cause eye problems. Linear tubes and MVBs are much better for beardies. Specifically Reptisun 10.0 and Arcadia 12% tubes.

Mine has been doing that too! I'm hoping it was just he lights though. I switched them out for a Reptisun tube and just a basking light and he seems to be doing much better.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, the coil UVB is probably causing the eye discomfort. Frances Baines, the woman that does the UVB testing says that photo-kerato-conjunctivitis (PKC) is very painful and actually feels like sand in their eyes constantly. :( Please read this and view the pictures: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm I would highly recommend that you turn the coil UVB off and see if it doesn't make a difference. Your beardie will be better off without any UVB rather than continuing to use that dangerous one. A few days or even a wk without a UVB light won't do any harm.

PKC can also cause a loss of appetite and inactivity because they feel so miserable so please try to order the Repti-Sun 10.0 tube or Arcadia bulb asap.

Can you tell us what the distance of this coil bulb was to him? The coil bulbs don't come in 100 watts or did you mean that the basking bulb is 100 watts?

Can you update us on how he's doing?

Goodtruant

Sub-Adult Member
diamc":2eu03hte said:
I agree, the coil UVB is probably causing the eye discomfort. Frances Baines, the woman that does the UVB testing says that photo-kerato-conjunctivitis (PKC) is very painful and actually feels like sand in their eyes constantly. :( Please read this and view the pictures: http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm I would highly recommend that you turn the coil UVB off and see if it doesn't make a difference. Your beardie will be better off without any UVB rather than continuing to use that dangerous one. A few days or even a wk without a UVB light won't do any harm.

PKC can also cause a loss of appetite and inactivity because they feel so miserable so please try to order the Repti-Sun 10.0 tube or Arcadia bulb asap.

Can you tell us what the distance of this coil bulb was to him? The coil bulbs don't come in 100 watts or did you mean that the basking bulb is 100 watts?

Can you update us on how he's doing?

Probably meant the reptisun 10.0 coil bulb.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
If the temps are high enough you can take him outside for some UVB.
a couple of hours in the sun will replace an entire day of the UVB light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom