Natural Disaster Emergency Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
So I found a few threads about this but none of them went into detail about what to add. I live in So. Cal so we might have to evacuate from wildfires. We were blessed in 2008 when a lot of so cal was on fire. It rained ash at our house. We had to shut off our house and wear masks outside to protect ourselves. If you have anything to add please do it in the same format.

1. Reptarium-10 gallon

2. Hand Warmers

3. Towels

4. 25 and 50 Watt bulbs and Fixture

5. Nature Zone Bearded Dragon Food

6. Other Food Pellets.

7. Sample Packs of Calcium

8. Baby Food (does that have to be refrigerated?)

9. Syringes

10. Medical Tape

11. Cloth Bandages

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Great thread, and great list so far! I don't have anything to add at the moment, but It'll be interesting to think about and see what other people add. And no, babyfood doesn't need to be refrigerated unless it's been opened - so stock up on a bunch of the tiny jars or pouches. Or I wonder if you could actually pre-fill syringes with babyfood + Critical/Carnivore Care and calcium & vitamins then heat seal it into plastic pouches or something. Hmmm...

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Those are all good ideas. What exactly is carnivore care and what is it used for? I have heard about it and seen it just never needed to figure out what it is.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
ReptileAddiction":lkutl85k said:
Those are all good ideas. What exactly is carnivore care and what is it used for? I have heard about it and seen it just never needed to figure out what it is.

Critical Care (for herbivores) & Carnivore Care (for carnivores) are like meal replacement powdered supplements for animals who are recovering from illness or who refuse to eat well for whatever reason. It can be mixed with water/liquids and fed through a syringe. I suggest it for an emergency care kit because it is nutritionally complete with calcium, vitamins, and everything else. Beardies are omnivorous, so it would be best to have a mix of the two leaning more heavily on the Critical Care. http://www.beardeddragon.co You can store it in the freezer for a pretty long time. When stored at room temperature, it should be used within a week or so.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
ReptileAddiction":29xjoxan said:
If I keep it as a powder can I keep it at room temp? I already buy everything from bearddragon(.)co

Even as a powder, shelf life is a week or so at room temp once it's been opened. I have no idea if it can be stored at room temp for a while when un-opened, but I would guess so. It should be mixed with liquids fresh for each feeding - but the liquid mixture can technically be refrigerated for up to 24 hours. If I'm correct, you can store it dry/powdered in the freezer for several months (I'm sure Cheryl @ beardeddragon.co can confirm that for you)... one of those things you would store in the freezer and grab for the "emergency" to take with you, if you have time. It's a good thing to have around (in he freezer) either way. If you have to get it from a vet, it will likely be way more expensive & in a much higher quantity than you'll need than if you get it online in advance. See, I have more of a first aid dragon emergency kit - I have about every dragon medication I could possibly need plus supplements and such.

Yeah beardeddragon.co has A LOT of my money too lol :)

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
12. Bottled Water

baby food doesn't need to be refrigerated until opened. just check the expiration date on the jar. once opened it needs to be used within 2 days. so you might want a couple on hand in case you have to stay away longer than that.

ReptileAddiction

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have talked a lot to Cheryl I am sure she will recommend other things for it to. My family has big jugs of water in case of an emergency that I will just use :D

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I have, thermazine, triple antibiotic, sterile bandages, rice blanket, hand warmers, medical tape, critical care and carnivore care, betadine, hibiclens, extra feeding tongs, a few syringes, benebac, nice fluffy hand towels, calcium and vitamins, extra lights and fixture, an extra soft blankie, vet wrap.....and yes unless opened you can store baby food in a medical preparedness kit...then if opened should be refrigerated within 24 hours or bacteria can set in. Have canned crickets, pellets and those little bearded dragon bites in mine..plastic cups in case i have to soak anything like a tail or foot <cups are about the size of large shot glasses> eye wash...but i have dogs aslo some of this can be used on in an emergency. Everything is stored in a nice neat little bag inside an extra 10 gal tank.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
I live in Colorado and with this fire season being so bad, and us being surrounded <not affected cept for smoke and ash> you never know what may happen so have one kit for my dogs and one kit for my beardie and a large supply box for us and one for all our papers on the dogs, lizard and us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom