How to potty train???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
K I'm tired of Zeus pooing on my bed how can I train him to poo like on paper towels in his tank or just in their in general he will poo in there but not all the time has anyone ever potty trained their dragon to poo somewhere cause I can't give him a bath everyday to poo do I can hold him with no worry of him to poo on the bed??

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Soak him first until he poops, and then let him wander around. :)

It also helps to establish a routine - so every morning, you feed him at the same time, then every afternoon soak him, or you soak him every morning and then feed him. Usually they develop a distinct pattern once you get the feeding down to a schedule.

Or you can do what we do here in the store...the beardies always, ALWAYS poop within minutes of us cleaning the the cage.

-Jen

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Don't take him out until he has pooped, if he's a daily pooper. I don't let mine out on me until night-time when all the poops are done. It's the only way. I have most of them trained to poop at a certain place in their tanks, but mine are all adults. They're always done by 2p, so that's when they're allowed to be on me. Otherwise they're allowed to roam the living room/balcony that are beardie proofed, and that's it. I don't like to be pooped on either!

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Yea but Zeus poops randomly sometimes it's 2 days sometimes 3 sometimes 1 do that's why I'm asking how to potty train them how do I get him to poo by a certain time

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
before i let either of my babies out i wait until they poop. Tasty Treat is right on schedule, she goes about an hour after she wakes up. I try to get her in the tub (her poop STINKS!).
I've finally got Mr Dargon to stop going in his cage. I put him in the tub and leave him there until he poops, then i let him run around and play. I kept this up for a while so now he understands that he gets to run around after he poops.

Now he won't go in his cage at all, unfortunately he has no problem going anywhere outside of his cage. so there's still work to be done with that.

your best bet is to get Zeus to go in the bath before you do anything with him. if he doesn't go within 30 minutes he probably doesn't have to go.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I found the same thing, I don't have time to get them all in the bath before I get to work, but they don't get out alot when I have to work, either. On the weekends, they poop mostly in the bath or outside on the balcony, either way I still don't snuggle with them until the evening, when there is no chance that they'll poop. It's hard to get them on a schedule unless you have the time in the morning or in the afternoon when you get home. Giving him a daily bath either before or after school will eventually get him to poop in the water, but that may take time but he will get onto a schedule. You'd have to give it a try to figure it out. And if he is on you, just have a paper towel close by & look for the butt wiggle & the lift of the tail. Then shove the paper towel under him & voila! a poop that's not on you for a change! :D

beachie49

We have a regular routine with our beardie.. every day before she gets to free roam and play, we stick her in the bathroom on a pad until she poops....we have been doing this for the last month and she now lets us know that she has to poop. SHE WILL NOT GO IN HER CAGE...its been working out real well.

sprinz03

When mine glass dances (usually in the morning) I put her in the bathroom until she poops. It's easier to clean bathroom tile than rug or bed linens.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Zeus probably has a "poop dance" that you just haven't quite caught onto yet. My beardie Lotus takes every opportunity possible to poop outside her tank, and I've paid the price a few times now. I've only had her for about 8 weeks but I've already learned her signals. When she starts wiggling her butt around and straightens out her back legs, she gets immefiately taken over to the kitchen tile floor & she goes. Now she's so used to it that she'll either go over to the tile herself to poop, or she knows it's time to go if we just put her there and wait a minute. I mean, we have to clean it up either way and it's much easier off of a big tile floor. I really think it's just about repetition. You can't make him want to poop where he eats and sleeps, you can't really blame the little guy. But you can probably control where he goes if you stick to it. Good luck!

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Well he does do the little wiggle thing but sometimes I can look away for 1 min next thing I know poop is there but thx for all your help u guys very much appreciated

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
My girl does the poopy dance/glass dancing in the morning half hour after breakfast. Took me a while to figure out she just wanted to poop any where but her viv, but I will not let her out until she does her poop.

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
If she doesn't want to poop in her viv, why don't you get her someplace poop safe - like the bath or on paper. She's doing her part by trying to tell you IT'S TIME!!!! select a good place that is easy to clean and let her do it there. It sounds like she wants to, and that is half the battle. Then it wouldn't be in the viv or on you. The whole potty trainable thing is one of my favorite things about Beardies.

Zeusmybeardie

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Wellzeus picked a spot in his viv cause his last thee poops were there he likes to poop on the edge of his basking cliff so it lands on the back of his basking rock and all on the floor under it

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
He's like Rubio, only Rubio's gotten better about not pooping on his basking spot. At least he 's not pooping on you anymore, and now you can take him out without any pooping issues. All of mine have learned to stop pooping on the basking spot, they just poop beside it now, but they're also alot older than Zeus, hopefully he'll learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom