What's with the clear nails?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
I've seen quite a few post lately that i haven't seen before. They refer to beardies with "clear nails". What's the big deal. What does that mean???

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
These are referred to as Hypo's.

It's short for hypomelanistic. It means that the coloration is a mutation that lacks black/dark pigmentation. Though they will not be completely without all dark pigmentation all the time... these beadies will have the clear nails rather than black or darkened nails.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Clear nails are a pretty reliable indicator of an animal that is hypomelanistic, which translates to "reduced melanin". They are not completely lacking in melanin (that is called amelanism, or albino as we classically know it), but have reduced amounts of it, with exceptional animals having almost no dark pigmentation whatsoever.

-Jen

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
here's a picture of Franklin!
IMAG0264.jpg

HYPOMELANISTIC!!
IMAG0255-1.jpg

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
RandyMarsh, Franklin is very handsome! :love10:

Ou...ou HeatherSullivan that's right this is a chance to show off my Roux. :lol:
This is Roux....with her dainty clear nails? :)

DSC09325.jpg

DSC06205.jpg

I personally think all beardies are special regardless their genetics. :wink:

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks for clearing that all up. I guess I have one that's "more awesome" LOL :lol: Love the pics guys. Here's Drake. I dunno if you can see his clear nails though... (that's Ozzy in the background licking his chops. LOL)
3-6-11016.jpg

3-6-11015.jpg

And Brodie about a year ago. I dunno that he nec. has clear nails, but I figured I'd share :)
1-4-11024.jpg

RandyMarsh

Sub-Adult Member
heather if you're posting from photobucket just copy the [IMG/] code at the bottom of the thumbnail into the thread :)

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Slight hijacking ( :silent: sorry OP).
Heather I have a 7 y/o 20lb cat that looks much like yours. I had to do a double take when I seen that pic. :lol:
Nice beardies! :)

HeatherSullivan

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
haha Fresnowitte. That's Ozzy. I work at a Vet clinic and I see cats like him EVERYWHERE! He's only about 13 or 14lbs though. He is SUCH a character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom