Water Bowl or no Water Bowl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering im trying to do as much research as i can since im new to beardys,

but im kinda confused..
some websites say to keep a water bowl in there enclosure,
but others say its better to not, because it can give them respiratory infections or something/ raise the humidity, & they wont drink from it anyway? & as long as they have baths around every other day theyl be fine?

which is true?
i have 3 babies, and they get a bath almost every morning/other morning. but im still confused if i should put a water bowl in there enclosure.
but i just want the best for them.

thanks in advance! :)

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
Personally, I don't keep a water bowl in with my beardie. It can raise the humidity, and desert creatures are a lot more sensitive to humidity levels than we are. Also, you have it phrased like you have all 3 of your beardies housed together. You'll probably want to separate them sooner than later, you'll run into issues of dominance soon.

tayyyyface

Original Poster
RolandKyramere":1cvd5180 said:
Personally, I don't keep a water bowl in with my beardie. It can raise the humidity, and desert creatures are a lot more sensitive to humidity levels than we are. Also, you have it phrased like you have all 3 of your beardies housed together. You'll probably want to separate them sooner than later, you'll run into issues of dominance soon.

As of right now there all together in a 75 gallon long breeder tank.
& were currently building another tank for the 2 girls. ,
their not crammed or anything though, as there all only about 8inches long.

i also read that they liked to be misted?, cuz ive never seen them drink from their baths either.

RolandKyramere

Sub-Adult Member
I mist mine outside of their enclosures, when I rescued a little beardie (5 inches) that was about the best way I could find to get him to drink.
Cool on the enclosures, and sorry, I've seen so many people recently who are having issues with multiple beardies in their tanks.
I usually misted and bathed my younger beardie.

tayyyyface

Original Poster
RolandKyramere":571agdto said:
I mist mine outside of their enclosures, when I rescued a little beardie (5 inches) that was about the best way I could find to get him to drink.
Cool on the enclosures, and sorry, I've seen so many people recently who are having issues with multiple beardies in their tanks.
I usually misted and bathed my younger beardie.

Ahh i know ive read lots of people keeping alot in very small tanks :(.
but thanks for the help :)

I have a large water dish on the cool side of my beardie's (55 gallon) tank. He absolutely loves it. He spends a lot of time with just his vent dipped in it "drinking" water :lol: He'll also get all the way in and take a full on bath every now and then. I still bathe him in the big tub once a week but I'm not really sure why, just a habit I guess.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
Congrats on your new beardies! :D
Misting a bearded dragon is really not necessary. Unless while misting you see them actually lick water droplets. Beardies do not absorb any moisture through their skin. When bathing, they absorb moisture through their vent.
Water bowls and/or misting in the tank may cause a rise in humidity, yes. This is why it is not recommended.
Baths 3-4 times a week and adding a little extra water to their veggies will aid in hydration just fine.
Also as RolandKyramere mentioned... housing more than one beardie together is not such a good idea, even of the same sex. There is always the chance that one will become dominant leaving the other one to not thrive properly. The chance of tail nips, toe nips and such are a possibility as well.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Ive always used water bowls from egg to burial. My dragons soak themselves for the most part and I soak once a week.
All 14 of my breeders have seperate tanks. In the long term it will improve health and extend lifespans.

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
TheWolfmanTom":31ajr0tm said:
Ive always used water bowls from egg to burial. My dragons soak themselves for the most part and I soak once a week.
Tom is a breeder and has many beardies. I'm sure he keeps an eye on his humidity, right Tom? :wink:

We are not saying don't or you cannot use a waterbowl. We are just saying that water in the viv may cause the humidity level to rise. With that being said.. you can try it, but do also keep an eye on the humidity reading.
I live in a very humid climate, when I put water in my beardies vivs, the humidity creeps up and up.
A good humidity level for a beardie is between 30%-40%. They don't need alot, but do need some.
Hope this helps! :D

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
I opted not to keep one in my viv. First of all, it takes up space and while my beardie is only a few months old, I have him in a 20g long tank (in the process of building a larger one now). When I did have one in there for the first week or so, he never went anywhere near it. So I took it out and I just make sure I keep my crickets well hydrated, add a little water to his salad every day, and give him a bath every other day or so. He seems to be doing just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom