Updates to Thor's house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
20220224_173226.jpg

Finally upgraded his coil uvb to an Arcadia ProT5 12% 24 watt. And I added organic topsoil to his sand. I'm hoping he enjoys digging in this more. I also bought a hide for his cool side. It's actually for the small, furry types since it's made from Timothy hay, but he doesn't eat it, so it was cheaper than a reptile hide. The log hid is really too small for him, but he uses it to rub his pores on, so I will leave it till I build his final house.

The vet said he's in excellent health, no parasites, good weight and length. He didn't even get blackbeard when he was handled by someone other than me!

Anyway, Thor does not eat his substrate, and I now feed him from a glass dish with his worms, so he shouldn't ingest any dirt. The vet said his house is okay, just watch for changes, which I always do anyways.

Other than switching out is substrate, do you have any other suggestions or opinions? I'm going to start on his final habitat this fall. He will go from his current 4x2x2 to a 6x2x2.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
That is a nice encloser. It looks a little cramped but that'll last a while before you change it again:)

Beardie name(s)
Hazel
Your encloser is perfect size, but if you don't want to keep changing it because they grow, then you should take out most of the stuff if you want your Beardie to rome around. It looks super cramped with very little access areas.

Rubble1212

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Rubble
Your setup looks fine you have plenty of floor space don’t take everything out if you want him to get some exercise let him run around outside his enclosure. Also I was just noticing it looks like from the picture the reflector on the t5 fixture is pointing outward? It’s a little hard to see but just wanted to check so excuse me if I’m looking at the picture wrong. Make sure the reflector is pointing down if it’s pointing out it’s not good for their eyes.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Your setup looks fine you have plenty of floor space don’t take everything out if you want him to get some exercise let him run around outside his enclosure. Also I was just noticing it looks like from the picture the reflector on the t5 fixture is pointing outward? It’s a little hard to see but just wanted to check so excuse me if I’m looking at the picture wrong. Make sure the reflector is pointing down if it’s pointing out it’s not good for their eyes.
I need to get a shim to point it a bit downward, but it does point directly outward. I've already seen a dramatic change in him. He's more active, and he likes to eat his greens now. He has a much healthier appetite.

As for his decor, he climbs all over everything. He scrapes his pores on the log, and when he doesn't feel like jumping straight up onto his hammock, which he does a lot of the time, he will use the branch to climb up there. It won't be so cramped once he gets a bigger house.

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Your encloser is perfect size, but if you don't want to keep changing it because they grow, then you should take out most of the stuff if you want your Beardie to rome around. It looks super cramped with very little access areas.
He gets tons of time to run and explore outside his house. When he wants out, he goes to the left side of the enclosure and dances to get my attention. When I open the door, he climbs onto my hands or my shoulder. He'll spend anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours running around, playing with the cats, exploring his favorite places. As soon as I see him curled up and going to sleep, I put him back in by letting him climb off my hands onto his hammock. It's a good system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom