KEEP AWAY FROM SUCCULENTS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
(Mods, I'd suggest you pin this somewhere on the site, I see this so much online (mainly on Reddit) and I can't stay silent anymore.)

If you have succulents in your viv, remove them ASAP, most succulents are poisonous, and we don't have research done on which ones are safe for bearded dragons.

Succulents are from the most extreme environments on the planet where any herbivores would seize the opportunity to eat them if they came across them. In response to such selective pressures, they have evolved the ability to release incredibly poisonous compounds as soon as salivary enzymes from an animal hit receptors on the surface of the plant leaf.
Bearded dragons lick EVERYTHING, so a quick lick is enough to get a hefty dose from something like a jade plant.

If a plant is noted to be poisonous to bugs, humans, or other animals, assume it is poisonous to your bearded dragon. Succulents look super cute, but your bearded dragon is cuter. Leave the succulents in your windowsill or garden.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It is usually a good idea to be conservative with what you offer as food and what is within their reach (as you say, they do tend to chomp on and lick everything in sight). Some succulents are known to be toxic to dogs, cats, and horses based on what I've read. That may be enough to rule them out as potential hazard to dragons as well. When I'm looking for toxic vs edible I often look for information about birds when info about reptiles is not available since their systems are somewhat similar. To go along with your message, here is a list of potentially toxic plants to reptiles. http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Rep...List-of-Plants-That-Can-Be-Toxic-To-Reptiles/

It is always a very good idea to have an activated charcoal kit on hand in case of accidental ingestion of a toxic substance. Especially during lightning bug season. I keep this kit nearby at all times https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Emergency Charcoal Kit it is excellent because of the clear dosage instructions which help make it easy to administer in a panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom