Is my bearded dragon dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardie0252

So I got my beardie nearly a year ago. The woman I got her and another female from said they were pet shop rescues and they were really small when I got them, even though she said they were a year old.
She has grown so much since I got her. She has been acting perfectly normal the last few days. Temps in the tank are normal. She ate salad yesterday morning silent crickets last night, appetite was fine.
She was in her basking spot this morning, I went out for a few hours and came back and she was in the corner of the tank with her head pushed up against the wall and was unresponsive. I thought she might be brumating but I can't see her breathing, I flipped her and she didn't respond. It looks like some liquid has come out of her mouth. She's still limp but has been unresponsive for hours. She doesnt look like theres anything wrong with her physicallly. It really seems as though she is dead but there have been a few stories where people think they are and they turn out not to be. Can anyone tell me what else I can do? :(

It's visually hard to see if a Bearded Dragon is breathing during Brumation, so I wouldn't automatically assume she's dead just because you can't see. In fact, seeing beardies breathe in general is difficult. During Brumation, a Bearded Dragon's body almost completely shuts down. It's a sort of suspended animation.

Given she's drooling, it's a good sign. That shouldn't happen otherwise. Has she pooped recently? If she has, I doubt there are any problems. I would leave her for a bit and see what happens. Maybe a day.

Given she seems to have been cared for properly, I doubt that she is dead after almost reaching 2 years old. In fact, that age is normally when they brumate for the 1st or 2nd time. Note that Bearded Dragons have a real knack for scaring their owners. It may as well be their job at this point.

I would like to know the complete setup, husbandry, food and to see pictures of your beardie, just so I can get a grasp of what could be going on.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some dragons can and do just die from hidden illness suddenly, but I hope that's not the case. She should respond by your picking her up or turning her over no matter if she's in brumation. If she does not respond, breathe, move when you put her on her back she may be gone. Of course you want to be sure, but for now it sounds like she may be. I'm really sorry if she is. :(

AHBD":2a6nvslr said:
Some dragons can and do just die from hidden illness suddenly, but I hope that's not the case. She should respond by your picking her up or turning her over no matter if she's in brumation. If she does not respond, breathe, move when you put her on her back she may be gone. Of course you want to be sure, but for now it sounds like she may be. I'm really sorry if she is. :(
Wouldn't it be better just to leave her for at least a while though, just to make absolutely sure?

The best way to tell if a Beardie is alive imo is to put your fingers close to their nasal cavities and see if you feel air going in and out.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, .....best to be absolutely sure. Can you post a video of you moving her around ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh that doesn't sound too good. Hopefully she is just brumating perhaps, but being that unresponsive isn't a good sign. If you do have any pictures, that would be helpful.
You do not see any signs of breathing?
I am so sorry about your dragon. :cry:

Tracie

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Doesn't sound good. A brumating dragon can still be woken up. Are the eyes sunken in?
Sorry if your dragon passed away. Kind of sounds that way though.

Beardie0252

Original Poster
I checked her again this morning. Still no movement. Can't feel any breathing. Can't see any movement. Flipped her over, nothing. Her beard has gone dark and black in places. She's got some moisture glistening over parts of her body. I think she's gone :(

Beardie0252

Original Poster
I don't really know what to do. Now that she's gone, my other female is now on her own. I as told they'd been together since birth by the lady I got them from and now she's on her own. Will she be sad or lonely? :(

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I think she will do fine as they are normally solitary creatures. I am truly sorry for your loss, they have a special way of getting into our hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
My name is Faith
Top Bottom