Dig box substrate mix?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
I happened to find Repti-Soil at pet smart says it's good for digging and burrowing wasn't sure if that would be safe to use. I was also looking for plain organic top soil and kids play sand some people say to mix the topsoil with play sand but was vague on the kind.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I happened to find Repti-Soil at pet smart says it's good for digging and burrowing wasn't sure if that would be safe to use. I was also looking for plain organic top soil and kids play sand some people say to mix the topsoil with play sand but was vague on the kind.
I dont think it matters on the brand as long as it has nothing in it
potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I dont think it matters on the brand as long as it has nothing in it
potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc
Is there a particular sand i can use? I got Repti-Soil and I looked for play sand at home depot but it says not to be swallowed or get it in your eyes. It also looks like it is straight from the beach and was moist/wet inside and outside the bag. If they decide to burrow/dig there may be a chance of swallowing it or possibly get it around their eyes

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is there a particular sand i can use? I got Repti-Soil and I looked for play sand at home depot but it says not to be swallowed or get it in your eyes. It also looks like it is straight from the beach and was moist/wet inside and outside the bag. If they decide to burrow/dig there may be a chance of swallowing it or possibly get it around their eyes
Lets ask AHBD see what she recommends
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've always used either the children's playsand or a mix of the sand with plain topsoil, dampened so it's not super dusty. No dragons ever got impacted or got it in their eyes . The thing about digging boxes is that anything you use has a very small chance of ingestion or getting in their eyes. The risk is very small IMO but everyone has to decide for themselves. Some people have been using felt cloth strips but one person posted here that their dragon ate a piece and had some trouble passing it, I don't remember if they needed a vet.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've always used either the children's playsand or a mix of the sand with plain topsoil, dampened so it's not super dusty. No dragons ever got impacted or got it in their eyes . The thing about digging boxes is that anything you use has a very small chance of ingestion or getting in their eyes. The risk is very small IMO but everyone has to decide for themselves. Some people have been using felt cloth strips but one person posted here that their dragon ate a piece and had some trouble passing it, I don't remember if they needed a vet.
I ended up trying a natural sand from Australia says no impaction on it

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The only way they get impacted is if they eat enough of it, no matter what type you use including that one. Most healthy , well hydrated beardies can pass small amounts of substrate though and they don't get impacted anyway. Any of the calcium based pet store sands have a higher risk of impaction because some beardies just eat more it .

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
The only way they get impacted is if they eat enough of it, no matter what type you use including that one. Most healthy , well hydrated beardies can pass small amounts of substrate though and they don't get impacted anyway. Any of the calcium based pet store sands have a higher risk of impaction because some beardies just eat more it .
Terrible picture I promise it doesn't look that bad I used all the sand some of the soil It has a nice earthy smell to it

Attachments

• 16556830878823066320595865642454.jpg
    16556830878823066320595865642454.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 137

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your beardie will probably like it. :) They just seem to enjoy the action of digging so see how your beardie reacts.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Your beardie will probably like it. :) They just seem to enjoy the action of digging so see how your beardie reacts.
She had both claws on the side wondering how to get out earlier then I grabbed some soil and put it on her tail and legs but she had no desire to stay in it

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I know its a little late in this thread, but the play sand is washed thats why its damp in the bag

Zimmy

Beardie name(s)
Murphy
Terrible picture I promise it doesn't look that bad I used all the sand some of the soil It has a nice earthy smell to it
Could you link the top soil and sand that you bought? Im not sure what brands are best that are organic and safe to use.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulesD
Top Bottom