Beardie face shape

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Taco
While looking at various photos here, I recognized there seem to be two very different facial shapes in dragons:

some have very triangular faces:

other have rounder faces, the eyes reminding me a bit of a frog and it looks like a smile when they open their mouth:

Here the first one is said to be male, the last one female. My male dragon has clearly (also) a triangular face shape.
Has this something to do with gender, or is this just random? Or at least if not a strict indicator, a tendency (like one can say: a 1,90 m human is not in every case a man, but the chances are higher that human is male than it's female)?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
There are several factors. Age, gender, genetics, hybrids ect.
Typically the femal will have the triangular head, it facilitates the male hanging on during mating. However some males will also have a triangular head so it isn't a fool proof way of identifying gender.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
genetics, hybrids
Which, if you know more? Especially as I had the impression of seeing the round head with a bit frog-like eyes more often in dragons which are orange and/or leatherbacks?

Age: I was referring only to adult dragons (and such that are healthy, so no MBD). Do their faces change significantly as adults? (I've seen some images of very old dragons, older than 10 or 12 years where I had the impression that I can see they're old - but it was mostly the skin, more wrinkled, spots, maybe skin not healing well. For adults to approx. 10 years, I have a hard time guessing. Two years, five years, eight years... can't tell.)

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
The color for the rounder eyes and head is coincidence. You can see that in any color. I think the frog like eyes are more genetics. The round meaty head is usually a male, but females can look like that also.

ChileanTaco

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Taco
The round meaty head is usually a male, but females can look like that also.
Thank you!

And the other way, I guess, also - male, triangle-shaped head?
My Taco is for sure male, and he's almost 12 months now. He's very sturdy and large (but not overweight), 480 g was the last weight before he went down to brumate, he has a big head, but for sure triangle-shaped and very much like the dragon in
https://www.beardeddragon.org/threads/meet-toto.269473/#post-2046889
From that, would you guess he also will get the round face if a bit older (let's say, 2 years?), or it stays triangle-shaped?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It will probably become more round, I think Zen was upward of 2 when his started to round out. It might not though, Sinatra is 2 now and his is still triangular.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom