Taming

Status
Not open for further replies.

FallenAngel

Hi I just adopted a male named Pete from my mum who rescued him from a pet store. The pet store gave her Pete because he is missing a hind foot and he is very aggressive. My mum tried for about a year to tame him but she just doesn't have the time anymore so since I'm on maternity leave she gave him to me.

He was in a much smaller tank when he was with my mum not sure the dimensions, I just know that it was significantly smaller then my tank which is 36''x18''x16''. I have given him a few days to relax and get use to his new surroundings but I would like to get started on taming him since I'm sure it will be a long process. I'm not sure how old he is but he is around 14'' long from the tip of his tail to his nose.

So what do I need? Should I get gloves to handle him at first? I'm not sure how much getting bit would hurt and I will admit I am somewhat afraid of his mouth filled with all those little razor teeth.

Any advice would be very helpful since I want to make this a happy home for him.
Thanks!

Here are some things you can try:
If he puffs up and opens his mouth at you stuff a piece of salad in it. After doing this a while he will know you are his meal ticket! When its lights out time get a t shirt that you have worn that day and put it in his tank so that he can learn your smell and become more comfortable with it. It will take time for him to come around but it is possible to tame him and it will be very rewarding when he knows you are his buddy. The bigger tank will help. Always try to pick him up from the front or the side so you don't startle him. Beardies rarely bite but if they do they can draw blood. Just take your time and have patience with him and you should do just fine!

Amy

Gail

BD.org Addict
Hand feeding will help him learn to trust you, offer a nice juicy silky or superworm a couple times a day. Can you pet him in the cage? If he will allow that then just pet him often for a few days, let him see you aren't going to hurt him.
If he is aggressive enough to lunge or hiss then you might want gloves at first, get nice soft leather ones like driving gloves not big heavy work gloves. I've been bit by adult dragon before, it bleed and hurt a little but not as much as a cat scratch.
When you do start to take him out, sit him on your lap if he will stay and just pet him. Do this 2-3 time a day for a few minutes at a time. If he won't stay still, take him to a small safe room like a bathroom or bedroom and let him run around. Most dragon really like to run loose and it won't be long before he learns you make good things happen.
What ever you do, never put him away when he is being bratty or mean, if he learns biting makes you go away then he will be very hard to tame. He needs to know you aren't scared of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom