Zucchini

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
For Toothless' salad, I give him kale, collard greens, carrots (sometimes apple in place) and zucchini everyday. He loooooves the zucchini. He will peck out the zucchini specifically. I was looking over a nutritional guide to see what other stuff I can give him and saw it said to only give them zucchini like once a month because it prevents calcium absorption and can help cause MBD. I've been giving it to him everyday for three weeks, but I've been dusting the said in calcium powder, as well as occasionally dusting his crickets. Will he be okay.? Do I need to stop giving zucchini.?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I don't know if it blocks calcium, but if it does all the dusting in the world won't matter. KARRIEREE or AHBD could probably answer about if it blocks calcium.
@KarrieRee
@AHBD

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I don't know if it blocks calcium, but if it does all the dusting in the world won't matter. KARRIEREE or AHBD could probably answer about if it blocks calcium.
@KarrieRee
@AHBD
Here is what I found out about feeding it
this is just one website

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For Toothless' salad, I give him kale, collard greens, carrots (sometimes apple in place) and zucchini everyday. He loooooves the zucchini. He will peck out the zucchini specifically. I was looking over a nutritional guide to see what other stuff I can give him and saw it said to only give them zucchini like once a month because it prevents calcium absorption and can help cause MBD. I've been giving it to him everyday for three weeks, but I've been dusting the said in calcium powder, as well as occasionally dusting his crickets. Will he be okay.? Do I need to stop giving zucchini.?
Yes saddly--- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Yellow Squash? – Reptiles Guide

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Okay, so I'll definitely not do that. I got some carrots, a red pepper and some apples to add to his salad. Shame, he really really likes them.

Can they have potatoes.? Raw, uncooked and peeled.?
Says cooked rarely on the nutrition website --- including sweet potato --- now I am rethinking my whole diet I am feeding my two and to the roaches as well --

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Says cooked rarely on the nutrition website --- including sweet potato --- now I am rethinking my whole diet I am feeding my two and to the roaches as well --
Well, I've read that dubai roaches are a fantastic staple feeder, right.? I also came across stuff that says Swiss chard is a good staple, but the Nutrition guide said rarely. There's so much conflicting info.

I take occasionally to mean like once a week or so, but that website implies like once a month or less. What sort of diet do you feed yours.?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well, I've read that dubai roaches are a fantastic staple feeder, right.? I also came across stuff that says Swiss chard is a good staple, but the Nutrition guide said rarely. There's so much conflicting info.

I take occasionally to mean like once a week or so, but that website implies like once a month or less. What sort of diet do you feed yours.?
Collards and turnip greens - was zucchini and yellow squash gonna change that up - raw sweet potato - there isn't a lot on that site that can be fed regularly - also have fed dandelion greens and endive along w/ prickly pear pads- mine won't eat fruit and I have tried everything-- staple insect dubias

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Collards and turnip greens - was zucchini and yellow squash gonna change that up - raw sweet potato - there isn't a lot on that site that can be fed regularly - also have fed dandelion greens and endive along w/ prickly pear pads- mine won't eat fruit and I have tried everything-- staple insect dubias
Where do you get prickly pad.?? I live in georgia and can't find it anywhereeee

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
this is how i interpret that chart
1665104445757.jpg

every stinking day
once a week, not repeating a single item in that week
treats every so often
why on earth would i want to feed that to begin with
no way dude!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

View attachment 74569
every stinking day
treats every so often
no way dude!
Yes that about sums it up 🤣 prickly pads are found on Amazon - do a search for prickly pear pads- I think they came from Arizona when I ordered them - the pads are good size

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
View attachment 74569
every stinking day
treats every so often
no way dude!
Yes that about sums it up 🤣 prickly pads are found on Amazon - do a search for prickly pear pads- I think they came from Arizona when I ordered them - the pads are good size
Does yours like the prickly pads.? Toothless is a tad picky. He likes kale and collard greens and has really been into zucchini lately. But that's it. He's recently discovered blueberries but I don't want to give those as anything more than treats.

Also, interpreting the chart that way makes more sense. I see occasionally and I'm like, "uh. Whats your version of occasionally.? A week, a month.? Twice a week.??"😅😅

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I would still use zucchini , not as often and in small amounts, finely shredded. Looking at all the other great nutrients and water content it can still be a small part of the diet with the main focus being on kale, turnip, mustard greens, snap peas and a variety of other veggies.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
Also, interpreting the chart that way makes more sense. I see occasionally and I'm like, "uh. Whats your version of occasionally.? A week, a month.? Twice a week.??"😅😅
i had that same feeling when i first started using that site. so i came up with that thought process on my own. vet is totally happy with what we give him and it's been almost 2 years that we have had him. so i figure it's all good.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
i had that same feeling when i first started using that site. so i came up with that thought process on my own. vet is totally happy with what we give him and it's been almost 2 years that we have had him. so i figure it's all good.
Sort of irrelevant, but what causes their beard to turn black.? I don't mean stress, threats, illness, etc. Like, biologically, do you know what causes the reaction to make their beard turn black.?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom