Zoo Med PowerSun UV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

L. Lawliet

I have a 40 gallon breeder for my beardie, and I was just wondering If:

1. They are as good as the mega ray

2. If I should even use it in the first place (If my tank is too small, beardie is too young) (planning to get a baby.) And what wattage would work best? it isn't very cold, or very warm here.

I appreciate any help!

LJean

Extreme Poster
A 40 gallon breeder tank is large enough to use a mvb.
Not sure what wattage you should use. As long as you keep the bulb at a safe distance (12" I believe) and get keep good temps, you can use it for a baby dragon.

I don't know much about that particular bulb, so cannot comment.

L. Lawliet

Original Poster
would I have to use it at an angle, or would it be okay straight down? Oh, and since I have trouble keeping my tank warm at night, would you guys recommend the Repti-Temp Rheostat for use with a heat mat (which would probably also be zoo-med)?

LJean

Extreme Poster
I think they are meant to be used straight down. I am not sure if it is meant for all mvbs but putting at an angle can damage the bulb shortening it's life.
Heat mats are usually not recommended. Many people use a heat emitter (sort of like a bulb, but doesn't produce light). How cold will it get at night? As long as it is at least 65 degrees, the dragon should be ok.

L. Lawliet

Original Poster
well, I don't think I'll always be there to change the bulb into a nighttime one. And that question was kind of for my future beardie and my leopard gecko XD.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I don't know what kind of care a leo needs. But there is a section here for them. Just scroll down thru the forums and you will see it. I'm sure someone can help.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I just purchased/installed a ZooMed PowerSun 100W (for my foster baby turtle) and the instructions that came with it specifically stated:

The PowerSun UV must be mounted in a vertically oriented fixture so that the lamp points straight down, not at an angle. Mounting this lamp at an angle will reduce its "burn life" and void any guarantee.

Also, it shouldn't be used with a dimmable dome fixture. It could do serious damage to the bulb.

The 100W should only be used with medium sized enclosures. For a 40-gallon, you might want to invest in the 160W.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
L. Lawliet":5fd3b said:
okay, so putting it on a screen top would be fine then right?
No. You can't set the dome fixture (or whatever you're planning on using) directly on the screen top. The bulb emits heat which could potentially melt the screen material.

Another safety statement from the package:

Screen top; make sure the PowerSun UV lamp and fixture are above a screen cover. This lamp gets hot; don't let your animals make direct contact with the lamp.

I've been using the Powersun 100watt bulb and it's been working perfectly for me in my female's 40 gallon tank. Although some others have mentioned not setting it down directly on the screen, I have been doing this with no problem. It just has to be a metal screen top and it isn't going to melt. This should make things a lot easier for you if you decide to use this particular bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom