Your Honest Opinion on Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jujustick

I was doing some reading on substrate from breeders in Cali, and they mentioned peat moss and topsoil that had no perlite or similar substance in it. It's supposed to be soft, easily digestible if ingested, and naturally odor-absorbing. I'm thinking about switching my beardies over to it, as their former owners kept them on calci-sand their whole lives -- (I also read that calci-sand is bad, and more reports to that effect keep popping up).

Hope it's helpful!
-Jonny-

Hopefulresearch

Juvie Member
I am against sand for a number of reasons. The autopsy of the impacted beardie picture is burned in my head. Second is, even if there is a small risk, why even risk it. There are other options that have a zero% chance of impaction. If you really want to risk it because you like the look, there are options like tile.

I would like to know why you believe in using glass.

Hopefulresearch

Juvie Member
jujustick":e2733 said:
I was doing some reading on substrate from breeders in Cali, and they mentioned peat moss and topsoil that had no perlite or similar substance in it. It's supposed to be soft, easily digestible if ingested, and naturally odor-absorbing. I'm thinking about switching my beardies over to it, as their former owners kept them on calci-sand their whole lives -- (I also read that calci-sand is bad, and more reports to that effect keep popping up).

Hope it's helpful!
-Jonny-
The reason why those substrates aren't commonly used is because they often raise the humidity of the enclosure too much.

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
Hopefulresearch":73413 said:
I am against sand for a number of reasons. The autopsy of the impacted beardie picture is burned in my head. Second is, even if there is a small risk, why even risk it. There are other options that have a zero% chance of impaction. If you really want to risk it because you like the look, there are options like tile.

I would like to know why you believe in using glass.

Do you mean the picture I showed of the dissected beardie with it's intestines and stomach all torn up? If so that damage you saw was do to crushed walnut shells not play sand. Though I can see why you would want to play it safe. I use sifted play sand for any adult beardies but when they were small I did not use sand I actually would use linoleum flooring. You know the kind that you have to glue down?

Though I t hink the best idea is a layer of sand followed by tiles on top. Since then there is something to soak up the liquid so you don't have to scrub the floor of the cage. Keep the tiles close enough together and the beardie can not even get at the sand. Or you could just put paper towel or something under the tiles. Even newspaper since with tiles you're not going to see it.

foto69man

Hatchling Member
I used to work at petsmart(yes the great enemy... :shock: ) and while i tried to correct every customer that bought a beardie on what to buy and where to read info(here ofcourse) not everyone would listen. two diff people brought baby beardies into Banefield(the in-petsmart vet) that died...they did necropsies(is that the right word?) and they discovered they were impacted with play sand...

So......cause of that, and my personal opinion that tile is easier to clean...i will not use anything else

midwestreptiles

Hatchling Member
I currently use newspaper or i buy bulk green indoor/ outdoor carpet from home depot. Same as cage carpet but for 12 bucks i can get like 12 square feet :) instead of 1 55 gallon piece! (what a rip off that stuff is) I have had adults on sand with no issues but like carpet i just spot clean it and wash when needed.

As for sand in the first place i read it somewhere on here, but if looked at on a map where bearded dragons generally inhabit they don't even live on sand in nature. Mainly grassy fields and packed soil type substrate i believe (correct me if im wrong)

Backlash

Hatchling Member
I use tile, its just the easiest thing to use. Why would you want to even bother taking the time to have to scoop out all the sand and keep replacing it every couple of weeks....for tiles ya scoop the poop up spritz it with a reptile safe disinfectant and walla all clean. To me its a no brainer.

foto69man

Hatchling Member
midwestreptiles":2e190 said:
As for sand in the first place i read it somewhere on here, but if looked at on a map where bearded dragons generally inhabit they don't even live on sand in nature. Mainly grassy fields and packed soil type substrate i believe (correct me if im wrong)

Sound judgement to me...if you want a natural vivarium/tank/cage/enclosure...no sand...and yes i know tile is even more unnatural , hahaha :wink:

Backlash

Hatchling Member
not nessarily, slate tile can relate very well to their natural habitat, australia has alot of landscapes with large flat rocks.... althought a different color its probally a very familar substrate to them

ghr15

Sub-Adult Member
I use sand in one of my beardies cages for good reason. See the cage is kind of on the floor and it would be hard to reach into the back of the cage to pick up tile or clean anything. The bottom of my cages really do not require a substrate at all. But with the cage at the bottom it is far easier to remove all the decorations and take a dust pan and scoop out all the sand then it is to actually reach to the back for tiles or clean the bottom of the cage. In the other cage I don't need sand I just use the cage as it is with just the bottom of the cage being the substrate.

So really I think the actual best thing is to use cages where the bottom is textured. Mine are actually made from recycled plastic and since they use different colored plastic flakes it has a sort of rock looking finish to it. Also they are light to pick up when you remove the glass doors.

I think most cages you can use a bare bottom except a fish tank. I hated having fish tanks and I would only ever use one of those for something that requires water. Such as a water dragon or something.

junebug82

Hatchling Member
corpsman8404":712c5 said:
eh IMHO i think tile is the way to go. its permanent and easy to clean. you get enough tiles to fill your tank and you never have to buy again. cleaning takes a matter of a few seconds.and it will still look good depending on what color tile you use. hell or you could always do half tile half sand.

I have the front 12 inches tiled and the back 7 inches are sand. Vadar could care less if her whole tank were tile...but Padame really likes the sand...she sleeps in the sand every night in "her corner". OF COURSE if it's not good for her..I'll be doing the back 7 in tile too.

PetLover

Hatchling Member
I've had several dragons, over the past years, in my classroom when I was teaching school. My beardies were always kept on sand, and I never had a problem. I like sand because it looks so natural and it's soft for the beardies to walk on. Another reason I like sand is it absorbs moisture from the poop and dries it up quickly. I kept a small fish net close by to sift the poop out of the sand. Another thing with sand, I was never aware of any awful poop odor or poop getting smeared around like it does on a tile floor and on the beardie. My friends that own beardies like sand for these same reasons. Everyone has their own opinion and I'm just sharing mine along with the rest of you.

Ryloth

I use turf from Lowes. At first I wanted to use play sand, but since money has been tight I have chose carpet. It's easy to clean, once a week, but you have to tear the entire tank apart to get it out. But it gives me the excuse to clean the rock and wood with hot water and soap. Then I let it dry. You should have a couple of carpets to switch out and get rid of them if they have been on the ground. So hang them on a fence or wire. Then let it dry for a day and bring it in. The way to clean it is take a hose and rinse it off. Scrape the hose on it to get the water deep in it and also clean of the poop.

Thanks
Ryloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom