Yellow tinted shed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! This is my baby Rango I’ve posted in here a few times before. He just turned two years old and I’ve had him since 8 weeks.

His lighting is all good, hot side 90 but temp gun is about 100 or so. Cool side 80ish. Arcadia UVB mounted inside zen habitat 4x2x2.

I noticed that he seems to be getting ready to shed in a few patches on his side. Usually if he’s going to shed it’s bigger patches like the entire side but I know it’s normal to shed in some smaller patches as they get older. You can see the darkening skin here, it’s not usually like that but I’ve seen the skin darken like this before when he’s getting ready for a shed. But my main question is the skin that actually looks like it’s going to shed (the small patch in the middlish) seems to have a yellow tint. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed his shed being tinted like that. He’s not on sand or anything, I have the zen mat from zen habitats so idk where the coloring is coming from.

Maybe it’s normal and I shouldn’t worry? But I still worry! I don’t think it’s yellow fungus or anything his belly and vent look good.

Any thoughts to ease my anxiety? :)

Attachments

• BF7FB892-66AD-46A0-87E5-39BA9DBF42BE.jpeg
    BF7FB892-66AD-46A0-87E5-39BA9DBF42BE.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 162
  • 0BFF0D34-7062-446B-A1CC-060DD18E8980.jpeg
    0BFF0D34-7062-446B-A1CC-060DD18E8980.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 119

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi everyone! This is my baby Rango I’ve posted in here a few times before. He just turned two years old and I’ve had him since 8 weeks.

His lighting is all good, hot side 90 but temp gun is about 100 or so. Cool side 80ish. Arcadia UVB mounted inside zen habitat 4x2x2.

I noticed that he seems to be getting ready to shed in a few patches on his side. Usually if he’s going to shed it’s bigger patches like the entire side but I know it’s normal to shed in some smaller patches as they get older. You can see the darkening skin here, it’s not usually like that but I’ve seen the skin darken like this before when he’s getting ready for a shed. But my main question is the skin that actually looks like it’s going to shed (the small patch in the middlish) seems to have a yellow tint. I don’t think I’ve ever noticed his shed being tinted like that. He’s not on sand or anything, I have the zen mat from zen habitats so idk where the coloring is coming from.

Maybe it’s normal and I shouldn’t worry? But I still worry! I don’t think it’s yellow fungus or anything his belly and vent look good.

Any thoughts to ease my anxiety? :)
Boy I dont know it almost looks like a fungus but I am no expert we need AHBD or CooperDragon to take a look at this
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I do see that dime sized + very slightly off colored area. Wait until it sheds to see if it looks any different but right now it doesn't SEEM to be anything serious but you can get a small tube of antifungal cream like Lamisil or Monistat to dab on there. Cooperdragon will probably have a look as well and offer his thoughts.

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
Ok thank you. It’s so weird I’m super anxious I might call vet tomorrow I don’t know he would of gotten a fungus I keep everything so clean! And remove his poop everytime he goes. He’s also acting completely normal! Eating, pooping, basking, doesn’t seem to hurt him. But I’d rather be safe if it’s not clearly nothing :((

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
@AHBD do you have thoughts on the darkening scales? I’m attaching another pic. I’ve seen his scales darken but in much bigger patches. Have you seen anything like this before shed?

Attachments

• F09DE6EE-C71E-46A3-8464-C4BC40A2A0D9.jpeg
    F09DE6EE-C71E-46A3-8464-C4BC40A2A0D9.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 101

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
Another pic (it’s really hard to get a good pic)

Attachments

• E7A43198-17FD-485D-BAD1-7969E783CA69.jpeg
    E7A43198-17FD-485D-BAD1-7969E783CA69.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 91

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The darkening scales seem odd, but the coloring looks natural. I usually only see their sides darken like that along with their beard when under distress. I suppose the shed could be affecting the color pigments/control in that area for some reason, but I don't think it's common. It looks like there may be a bunch of single scale sheds coming along with the patch on the side. I agree that keeping an eye on it and waiting to see how the shed completes is probably a good idea for now, unless it starts to look wounded or you notice odd behavior like lethargy, black bearding, or weight loss. If you have a vet you work with and trust, it may be worth having him checked out for underlying issues, but this may just be an odd shed.

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
Thank you so much I appreciate it. I called my vet and sent pics and I’m going to take him in Wednesday. It seems sheds are starting on each dark patch. The vet didn’t seem too worried because he’s acting completely normal otherwise (eating normal, basking, pooping) and it doesn’t seem to hurt him but I’d rather be safe and have someone else look!

Thank you for responding!

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
The darkening scales seem odd, but the coloring looks natural. I usually only see their sides darken like that along with their beard when under distress. I suppose the shed could be affecting the color pigments/control in that area for some reason, but I don't think it's common. It looks like there may be a bunch of single scale sheds coming along with the patch on the side. I agree that keeping an eye on it and waiting to see how the shed completes is probably a good idea for now, unless it starts to look wounded or you notice odd behavior like lethargy, black bearding, or weight loss. If you have a vet you work with and trust, it may be worth having him checked out for underlying issues, but this may just be an odd shed.

I agree about the coloring being natural thats giving me some relief! Like this morning when the lights turned on and he darkened to warm up, i couldnt even see the darker patches because they were the same as the rest of his sides! So it is a color he naturally creates which does make me feel a bit better. But ill see what vet thinks, im leaning towards weird shed, but just want to be safe and on top of it!

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I don't know if this helps, but I've noticed that with Thor, his shed tends to be yellowish if it's a thicker shed than usual. Also, his feet always shed thick and yellow, but his tummy is thin and whiteish.

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
I don't know if this helps, but I've noticed that with Thor, his shed tends to be yellowish if it's a thicker shed than usual. Also, his feet always shed thick and yellow, but his tummy is thin and whiteish.
This does help me! I’m thinking it’s a shed too! I ended up sick with covid and unable to go to his vet appt this week but it’s looking more and more like shed to me. The yellow tint worried me but I’m thinking it’s shed too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom