yellow poop, what does it mean?

Nabewolf

so i came home from work about 15min ago, and the first thing i always do is check both of my beardies cages for poop, and when i got to my females cage i found whats in the photo. shes been having issues for a bit now, she had stopped eating for about a month, wouldnt take anything, no roaches, superworms, not even her normal favorite hornworms. shes never been a huge eater like the male i got in feb(little man is gonna eat me out of house and home lol) but after about a month i weighed her and she had lost like 62g. so i finally was able to get her to the vet, they couldnt do a fecal test cuz since she wasnt eating she wasnt been pooping. they drew some blood and gave her an antibiotic injection, then was told they couldnt tell if anything was wrong til the blood results came back, havent recieved those yet but its been a couple weeks so ive assumed they came back ok. had to go back a few days after the appointment for another injection and to get some herbivore crit care. the next day i was about to start the force feeding of the crit care and decided to offer some superworms before hand and she ended up eating about 7 of them and over the next couple days she started eating alot more, fast forward about 2 weeks and shes back to not eating and now this yellow poop. im just really worried about her, shes was my first dragon and shes pretty much about as close to having kids as i want to get haha.

temps on the basking area range from 90-98
the uvb bulb was replaced less than 4months ago

any help is appreciated ill be sending the photos to the vet and talking with them as well

Attachments

• ripley poop.jpg
    ripley poop.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 1,681
  • riphab1.jpg
    riphab1.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 163
  • riphab2.jpg
    riphab2.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 157

Xjrosie

Hatchling Member
I found this.

Yellow poop can be a result of too much calcium in a bearded dragon’s diet. Too much calcium can cause bowel problems, organ damage and will lead to liver disease.

Bearded dragons need different amounts of calcium depending on how old they are:

• Hatchlings should have a calcium supplement daily.
  • Juveniles every other day.
  • Adults at least once a week.
If you notice your beardie’s poop is yellow then you need to reduce their calcium intake.

First make sure that the UVB tube does not cover the entire length of the tank your beardie lives in. It is important that your reptile can move in and out of the UVB light as they need it.

UVB light helps your lizard make vitamin D and Vitamin D promotes the absorption of calcium. Too much calcium and excessive UVB exposure are bad for a bearded dragon’s health.

If light is not an issue then consider their diet.

Your bearded dragon gets calcium from certain foods (e.g. kale and watercress) as well as dusting food with calcium powder.

Food that is high in calcium and calcium supplements can cause yellow poop.

Depending on your Beardie’s age you can consider taking away the calcium supplement for a few days to a week.

Yellow Substance That Is Not Poop​

Yellow substances specific to a female could be excretion of an infertile egg. If you suspect this do not pull on the egg. Yellow substances specific to a male can be a seminal plug. This is often tinted yellow and string-like in texture. A bath and gentle massage should do the trick in helping both issues

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Too much calcium or other supplements can cause hard, discolored urates, absolutely. How much
calcium powder are you giving?
You can try giving some canned sugar free applesauce mixed with canned or fresh pumpkin to help
hydrate & give some fiber too.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Nabewolf

Original Poster
thats the thingever since we came back from the second vet appointment from her not eating for a month, ive only been lightly dusting her salads, didnt wanna chance putting her off food somehow since she had just finally started eating again

edit: as you can see in the photos i keep a small shallow water dish she wont drink from it unless its directly in front of her AND i use my finger to gently splash it, when i do that her reaction is similar to when she notices a bug and she will lap up the water and stop when i assume shes had her fill

Last edited:

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
First, your vet is required to give you the blood work results and go over what they are. A couple weeks and not getting a copy is not acceptable. I'm not sure if there are any pandemic restrictions where you are, but even if there are the vet can email you the results with a written message or email the blood work and have a phone call to tell you about their interpretation of the blood work. They need to give you the results.

How old is your girl?

Nabewolf

Original Poster
First, your vet is required to give you the blood work results and go over what they are. A couple weeks and not getting a copy is not acceptable. I'm not sure if there are any pandemic restrictions where you are, but even if there are the vet can email you the results with a written message or email the blood work and have a phone call to tell you about their interpretation of the blood work. They need to give you the results.

How old is your girl?
shes about a year and a half or so

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon today?
Have you been able to get her to eat very much? Since she is about a year & a half
you can give calcium 3 or so times per week to be sure she doesn't get too much. How
are her urates, soft or hard?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please lower the uvb if it's T 5 to 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece- how old is the uvb? If it's a T 8 it will need to be lower to 6-8 inches- she needs to be able to sit directly under it for best effects-- T 5's need to be replaced every year I recommend a month prior to and T 8's every 6 months- a month prior to

Beardie name(s)
Spike
Please lower the uvb if it's T 5 to 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece- how old is the uvb? If it's a T 8 it will need to be lower to 6-8 inches- she needs to be able to sit directly under it for best effects-- T 5's need to be replaced every year I recommend a month prior to and T 8's every 6 months- a month prior to
I hope that doesn’t happen to my bearded dragon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us on your dragon? I hope she is doing better. Please keep us posted
on how things are going.

Tracie

Nabewolf

Original Poster
sorry for the lack of replies but i have news! pic attached! i think the yellow we saw may have been some kinda failed eggs as some of these are yellowish as well
Edit: i use a T5 HO bulb thats currently about 4 months old. still not eating much tho, in contrast to everything ive read about gravid beardies getting super hungry maybe now that shes laid her very first clutch her appetite will return, and the male i got back in feb is still tryiun to eat me out of house and home on the bug front lol
final edit: total of 30 eggos in her very first clutch, only got 23 of them out. its only 23 because when i got home and saw them i just left them alone since i had no idea how many where there and if she still had more to go, started telling everyone about it, then i needed to use the bathroom and when i came back she had tried to start burying them and had smashed 7 into the corner of her terrarium, when i got to her to take her out she was mashing the 7 into the corner with her face, wierdest crap i ever saw with this sassy momma lol

Attachments

• rips first eggos.jpg
    rips first eggos.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 118
  • rips first eggos 2.jpg
    rips first eggos 2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great she was able to lay all of those eggs! I bet she feels better now.
She will probably start eating more also, that is normal. Good, the T5 high output tube is fine, which
brand is it?
They do try to bury their eggs like that! Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Nabewolf

Original Poster
the bulb is a reptisun and the fixture, im not sure, it came with the carolina custom that i got as her first tank, now shes in the zen habitat 4x2x2 and my male is in the old tank

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing, since laying ALL of those eggs?
I had forgotten to mention for you to be sure you give her some extra calcium doses for a few weeks,
just to make sure her stores are good after laying.
That tank size of 4x2x2 is great, she should love that then, plenty of room to move around in.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom