Yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redwo0lf

I got this lil one a week ago from pet supplies plus and I’m trying to save him. I took him to the vet cause his tail was damaged started to turn grey and also the tip of his tail was damaged. The tip of his tail was bent and the vet cut off the bent/dead part off his tail and told me he was fine just to use mineral oil on him and said he should be fine that the grey in his tail was normal but I don’t think so. Today I noticed a little yellow by his tail area, is it yellow fungus or I’m just freaking out?

It does look a little iffy but it could also be very thick stuck shed given it doesnt sound like he was in the best situation at the store. If it is stuck shed you can soak your little dude in some lukewarm water and gently brush at the area with a soft bristle toothbrush it may take a few soakings for it to eventually come off. If the yellow remains after a shed then definitely get a skin scrape done by the vet
Beardies typically have a darker gradient that goes down the tail so it being a little darker is normal, i also have some recommendations for the tip of the remaining tail if you think its iffy, soak it in a iodine that is diluted enough to look like a light tea then apply a non pain relief neosporin on the affected area and you can do this for a week and see if the tail improves.

Redwo0lf

Original Poster
Yea thank you so much and yea I’ve been doing that so far. I’m just trying to give this lil one a second chance at life, cause he has had it rough.

No problem! My beardie when I rescued her from a pet store her tail tip was nearly black from being chomped on by one of her tankmates and she had very stuck shed on her tail so I know your worries very well, if you ever need any advice don't be a stranger.

Oh and things to watch for if it is YF is to watch for constant shedding that leaves behind rougher lookin scales; but don't be too shocked if your lil guy sheds a bit since he is still very small and has a lot of growing ahead of him. Also watch for weight lost and if he gets these crusty /flaky spots make sure to distance him from your other reptiles and wash your hands pretty good after handling since YF is very contagious between reptiles but luckily it cannot live on humans.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I don't see any fungal issues there, luckily.
There could be a little bit of dry scales but they should be shedding off. The scales do tend
to look a little off color or yellowish in color prior to shed.

Tracie

Redwo0lf

Original Poster
Thank you soo much for all the help. I feel a little better, I don’t sleep sometimes thinking about my lil one :(.

I notice some places around her feet it’s pink and she has no scales. Also on her head she has like dead skin I’ve been putting triple antibiotic ointment on those areas. Am I doing the right ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those areas could just be retained shed, but keep an eye on them. You can use some raw,
unpasteurized honey if there are any raw areas that possibly shed too soon or are irritated.
How is her appetite doing?

Tracie

Redwo0lf

Original Poster
Her Appetite is very poor she doesn’t eat unless I force feed her and she sleeps all day, tomorrow I’m taking her to the vet to see if they can help me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Ok, let's go over your tank setup then, to be sure everything is setup properly. Do you know
what type/brand of UVB light you are using?
What are the basking temperatures currently?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom