Yellow Fungus? Or something else

Status
Not open for further replies.

KayBee

Hi there,

I'm brand new here and looking for advice on my 5 year old Beardie, Geronimo. I noticed changes in Geronimo starting about 2 weeks ago. He started developing dark spots on his back and sides, which in the past has always been indicative of areas that are about to shed. However, instead of turning to gray and then shedding like in the past, those dark areas have remained and his attitude started to change. He's always been an easy-going, mellow man, but when the dark spots started, his personality started to become dull and cranky. He's lost some weight and those pads on the top of his head and tail are not plump and fatty like they should be. Yesterday I took him to my local vet, who is fresh out of vet school but doesn't necessarily specialize in reptiles. She diagnosed him with possible case of Yellow Fungus Disease. However, she didn't take any biopsies or do a fecal test or blood work. My question is has anyone here dealt with YFD or have any suggestions of what else it could be, like coccidia?
111823-3817521837.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes AHBD and Tracie are most experienced w/ the YF -- go over the UVB your using --- they are going to ask - coil or tube ? where in the tank is it? Basking temps and how are you taking them? Also how old is the UVB bulb? I will flag the post Tracie is on late at nite

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it looks like a possible fungal infection but not definite. You could be pro-active and get some antifungal cream like Lamisil or Monistat. You can also get a bottle of betadine , water some down with 10 parts water to 1 part betadine , dab it on and let it dry before applying the anti fungal. It would be good to have the vet do a skin scrape to send off for testing. Also a fecal test, although parasites wouldn't cause skin infection.

KayBee

Original Poster
I forgot to mention the vet gave me a prescription anti-fungal, Terbinafine, to administer to him orally.

In response to your lighting question: For years he's had a 24" T5 10.0 UVB tube on top of wire mesh (changed out every 6-9months). About a month ago his light quit working for some reason and the only light I could find at the time was 10.0 coil UVB. Friday I bought a 36" T5 tube light and set that on top of the wire mesh. That has definitely perked him up some! His basking temps are around 100 degrees during the day and lights are turned off at night and our AC is set at 70-73 degrees, so the house never gets below 70. His enclosure is an ExoTerra terrarium 36x18x18. His diet is 90% greens (collard, mustard, bok choy, kale, alfalfa greens, dandelion greens, arugula, etc) and the rest in superworms, hornworms, or dubia roaches. Lately all he really wants to eat is buggies, so that's what I've been spoiling him with that last couple days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole type? If it's a fine mesh the screen is blocking 30% of the rays-- it should be in the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- the wide hole type it can stay decor piece directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches--

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, that does look like Yellow fungus or some type of fungus. The lamisil or monistat
can definitely help.
Do you know what your humidity in the tank is? That is strange that he would have just
developed it suddenly. I hope he isn't going to need an oral anti-fungal because those are
really hard on their system. Has he been on any antibiotics recently?
As suggested, consider mounting the Reptisun 10 tube bulb underneath of the screen top for
a stronger UVB exposure for him.
You could also consider starting him on a probiotic, to help balance out his system a little bit.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

KayBee

Original Poster
KarrieRee - I would consider it a finer mesh. I didn't realize it would filter out that much UVB! Thank you for the recommendation. How would you recommend mounting it to the glass?

KarrieRee":1d1rwncy said:
The screen on your tank is a fine mesh or a wide hole type? If it's a fine mesh the screen is blocking 30% of the rays-- it should be in the tank 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor- the wide hole type it can stay decor piece directly above the basking decor 8-10 inches--

KayBee

Original Poster
I don't understand the sudden development either. That's what made me question if this is truly YF. His scales today are darker and turning more gray. The vet gave me Terbinafine to administer orally, which I'm concerned about any damage to his internal organs. He hasn't been on any antibiotics or anything at all other than his usual diet with calcium and multivitamin. I know I keep saying this, but I don't get how or where he picked up YF. I don't handle other reptiles and I try to keep his enclosure as clean as I can. I work 9 hours a day, and he's notorious for running through his poop and then painting that literal **** all over his tank :roll: :roll: Could he developed YF from this habit? I've always cleaned his tank and him as soon as I get home from work, but he could be sitting like that for hours :( while I'm at work.

Do you have a specific probiotic you recommend? Would you recommend lamisil or monistat over the oral anti-fungal the vet gave me?

Thank you so much for your help!! I truly appreciate it.

Drache613":9zqz10w1 said:
Hello,

I agree, that does look like Yellow fungus or some type of fungus. The lamisil or monistat
can definitely help.
Do you know what your humidity in the tank is? That is strange that he would have just
developed it suddenly. I hope he isn't going to need an oral anti-fungal because those are
really hard on their system. Has he been on any antibiotics recently?
As suggested, consider mounting the Reptisun 10 tube bulb underneath of the screen top for
a stronger UVB exposure for him.
You could also consider starting him on a probiotic, to help balance out his system a little bit.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Terbinafine is pretty harsh like the others are. You can use either lamisil or monistat in combination with the oral medication. I think both creams are just about equally effective.
The lamisil might be used more often though.
You can use organic non dairy soy yogurt or non dairy acidophiliz for a probiotic. I would highly
recommend starting them so it will keep the normal gut flora more balanced while on the oral
anti-fungal meds.
How is the skin looking, any improvements yet?
I agree, it does seem somewhat sudden for him to develop this though. His scales are not just
dirty correct, you have tried using a soft toothbrush to scrub his scales with gently?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom