yellow fungus came back

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Pixels yellow fungus came back :(

I'm looking for somewhere I can order acidophilus for her that ships to canada
and also the clorhexidine or nolvasan spray?

If anyone knows please let me know ASAP.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, how bad did it come back on her?
You could try going to your local health food store to see if you can find acidophiliz powder or liquid. Do you have a local health food store around?
I hope she is doing well.

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i know they sell the powder/capsules at the health food stores here but I was never sure how much to give her.

I actually just was on your website and I may order it from there, in hopes you ship to canada?

I've also read an article about Echinacea and Grapefruit seed extract helping cases where the oral antibiotics didn't cure it. Do you have an opinion on that?
I immediately removed almost everything from her tank to soak and applied the antifungal cream..

she gave me such sad eyes i instantly started crying uncontrollably. It was almost her saying "not again...."

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Geez, I hope it is able to be controlled again. :cry:
The grapefruit seed extra & echinea would definitely help boost your immune system & could help cleanse out the system, too. Monolaurin which is essentially derived from coconut, has been helpful with fungal issues, too & anti viral problems, too.
Are you going to replace everything in the tank now with cardboard for basking, etc since you took everything out for her?
I do ship out to Canada.

I hope she improves for you.

Tracie

I'll be doing some experiments with grapefruit seed extract soon...I'll let you know how that turns out. However, Chlorhexidine is a gift from the gods, but it will NOT KILL YELLOW FUNGUS SPORES!! For that, you need heat above 200 degrees or 1:10 bleach/water solution (made fresh every other day as the solution will lose some of its disinfecting properties after a couple days). Please keep this in mind when cleaning enclosures and decor! If using bleach, allow all items to dry COMPLETELY before allowing the Dragon to go near them.

Also remember that loading your dragon with antibiotics is the absolute BEST thing you can do to ensure that yeast abd the fungus will THRIVE and eat your dragon alive (literally). Bacteria is the mortal enemy of fungus, DO NOT use antibiotics unless directed to do so by your vet!

I'll update you on the grapefruit seed extract as soon as I have data. Best of luck to you and your dragon!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I'm so sorry it came back again.I wish I could give you both a big hug. I can imagine how heartbroken you are for her. You beat it before, you can beat it again.

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the advice. We are seeing the vet tomorrow evening and Iwill update and go from there....

:(

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So a little update:
We saw our vet friday evening, he seemed almost as upset as we are.
He truly believes it is a re infection and not the same one showing up again because of the amount of time she was "clean for" (2 months)
I thought we were so careful with throwing everything out and sanitizing but there must have been something we missed.
He says I should definitely try the echinacea for now and he was going to do some more research into it. He also gave me a chlorexidine shampoo I can wash her with.

He did recommend going back on the voriconazole for another 60days.
But he wanted to look into something else first. He has never performed it on reptiles but has had great success in cattle, dogs and cats with fungal infections.... laser removal. Has anyone ever heard of this being done?

He says pixel has amazing quality of life and he really believes we can beat this for good. Lets keep our fingers crossed....

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is good news it is possibly just reinfection then!
Are you going to go ahead with the voriconazole then for another 60 days to help out?
Laser surgery has been done on reptiles, but not routinely. I can't see where it would hurt though, but is he just wanting to get it off of the initial outer layer of skin?
How is Pixel doing now?
The chlorhexidine wash should be fine, it is antimicrobial. I hope that she will get past this, she is doing amazing!

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

sammmycakes

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm meeting with him again on Monday to discuss what he's found about the laser. I'm not sure exactly what his plan was / what he will remove.

I think we probably will go with the voriconazole unless he thinks laser is a better option. I trust my vet very much as he sees all 15 of our critters as well as treats the critters I work with if something happens.

We got a cherry flavored echinacea liquid today that is dealcoholized and put it on a blueberry and she gobbled it right up. The shampoo he gave me says it is antiseptic, antifungal, and antibacterial. Says it treats superficial skin issues caused by bacteria fungi ringworm and yeast. This still sounds okay???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom