Yellow crusty stuff at the side of lips

Status
Not open for further replies.

candrea

26E239FA-670E-4E3C-AD41-92FFF5043471.jpeg

Hello,
My baby bearded dragon has developed what it looks like crusty skin at the side of his lips - see attached photo. He otherwise seems completely fine, eating and moving around as usual.
I touched it and it seems hard but not painful, however it must be bothering him as he started rubbing it against his basking branch - I presume in an effort to get rid of it.
He is in the process of shedding so wondering if it could be something to do with that but reading about mouth rot and yellow fungus is making me increasingly anxious so would really welcome some advise and hopefully reassurance.
Thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 66390
Hello,
My baby bearded dragon has developed what it looks like crusty skin at the side of his lips - see attached photo. He otherwise seems completely fine, eating and moving around as usual.
I touched it and it seems hard but not painful, however it must be bothering him as he started rubbing it against his basking branch - I presume in an effort to get rid of it.
He is in the process of shedding so wondering if it could be something to do with that but reading about mouth rot and yellow fungus is making me increasingly anxious so would really welcome some advise and hopefully reassurance.
Thank you!
I am not sure what is going on here --- are you able to get his mouth open and have you tried washing it off? I am going to flag your post to AHBD and Cooper Dragon --- what are you using for a UVB ? NO coils please and your basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? No stick ons please these things I am asking are extremely important
@AHBD
@CooperDragon

candrea

Original Poster
Not quite sure how to get his mouth open - he opens it very quickly to eat or lick but not long enough for me to have a proper look. I haven’t tried washing it off as didn’t want to risk hurting him but would it be ok to try and gently rub it?
The terrarium was set up by the pet shop we bought him from so hopefully all correct but will give you the the details tomorrow- my son is asleep in the room the bearded dragon is in. Thetr is a basking bulb and there are some UVB light tubes. The basking temperature is around 95-105, can temporarily go a bit higher when warming up in the morning. I use a laser temperature gun to spot check it. Will post a photo of the setup.
I also looked back at some old photos and he seemed to have had a bit of the same stuff when we both him
BF8AD33B-273C-4118-BE22-EAF4AC619D90.jpeg
790B192C-57EA-43FE-9BA3-228DE2343146.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not quite sure how to get his mouth open - he opens it very quickly to eat or lick but not long enough for me to have a proper look. I haven’t tried washing it off as didn’t want to risk hurting him but would it be ok to try and gently rub it?
The terrarium was set up by the pet shop we bought him from so hopefully all correct but will give you the the details tomorrow- my son is asleep in the room the bearded dragon is in. Thetr is a basking bulb and there are some UVB light tubes. The basking temperature is around 95-105, can temporarily go a bit higher when warming up in the morning. I use a laser temperature gun to spot check it. Will post a photo of the setup.
I also looked back at some old photos and he seemed to have had a bit of the same stuff when we both him View attachment 66397 View attachment 66398
Where is the UVB -- please get rid of the basking bulb -- are you in the states or UK ? You need 2 digital probe thermometers - one for the cool side one for the basking side -- that stick on is for ambient temps only --- your dragon is getting sick -- he does not look well -- take a Q tip and gently pry his mouth open -- but we need to work on getting the correct UVB and basking bulbs -- I am going to post websites for you for what you need but I need to know where you are-- Never mind I see the probe you want two of them -- temps need to be surface temps take the probe and place where he sits for basking --- tell me what the UVB is brand and bulb please T 5 or a T 8 it will tell you on the bulb itself

candrea

Original Poster
Where is the UVB -- please get rid of the basking bulb -- are you in the states or UK ? You need 2 digital probe thermometers - one for the cool side one for the basking side -- that stick on is for ambient temps only --- your dragon is getting sick -- he does not look well -- take a Q tip and gently pry his mouth open -- but we need to work on getting the correct UVB and basking bulbs -- I am going to post websites for you for what you need but I need to know where you are-- Never mind I see the probe you want two of them -- temps need to be surface temps take the probe and place where he sits for basking --- tell me what the UVB is brand and bulb please T 5 or a T 8 it will tell you on the bulb itself
I’m in the UK. Will give you the rest of the info tomorrow. I do have a temperature gun that I check the surface temperature of the basking spot with and it’s about 95-105 like I said.
I am completely freaked out now do. Do you think he needs to see a vet ASAP? Does he look sick to you besides the mouth issue? What do you think is wrong?
I thought a basking bulb was a must, at least that’s what we were told by the pet shop. What would you use instead? Trying not to panic but not doing great

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I’m in the UK. Will give you the rest of the info tomorrow. I do have a temperature gun that I check the surface temperature of the basking spot with and it’s about 95-105 like I said.
I am completely freaked out now do. Do you think he needs to see a vet ASAP? Does he look sick to you besides the mouth issue? What do you think is wrong?
I thought a basking bulb was a must, at least that’s what we were told by the pet shop. What would you use instead? Trying not to panic but not doing great
Please tell me what kind of UVB in the morning and please replace the basking bulb w/ a CLEAR bright white bulb examples are Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb those are only examples another good brand is the Arcadia but it must be a bright white no off white no colored no yellowish -- the one in the pic is it off and when its on does it shine white or does it emit a yellowish tint to it --- once I find out what your using for a UVB I can better help you

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please tell me what kind of UVB in the morning and please replace the basking bulb w/ a CLEAR bright white bulb examples are Exo Terra Intense basking bulb or a Zoo Med Repti basking bulb those are only examples another good brand is the Arcadia but it must be a bright white no off white no colored no yellowish -- the one in the pic is it off and when its on does it shine white or does it emit a yellowish tint to it --- once I find out what your using for a UVB I can better help you
When I find out what kind of UVB your using I will be able to tell you -- we need AHBD or CooperDragon to advise on the mouth issue -- and yes he looks ill his eyes look not good either

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him. I think he is most likely not at optimal basking temperatures. Can you get the probe moved directly onto his basking rock
to double check his basking temperatures. If he isn't warm enough then he will develop health issues. Let us know if you are using a
UVB light & the type & brand.
To clean his mouth, you can use a diluted betadine solution, dipping a swab into the solution daily to try & get it softened up. If you have
any raw, unpasteurized honey you can try putting that on & inside of his mouth, too.
Is he able to eat anything?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

candrea

Original Poster
Thank you.

So his setup is as follows:

Tank size - 115x56x49cm (45x22x19inches)

Basking light - Arcadia 100w solar flood (the bottom of the lamp is about 13-14cm from the basking spot

UVB - Arcadia 39w D3+ T5 lamp

I checked the basking spot with a laser gun thermometer and the hottest spot has been between 98-102 this morning.

The ambient temperature in the middle of the tank wall is showing 80 and the coolest corner around 75.

He is eating ok - had 9 medium locust this morning as usual. I tried to have a look inside his mouth with limited success but from what I can see it looks pink.

He is definitely shedding his head and rubbing it a lot. As a result, most of the crust on the left hand side came off. There is still some left on the right side, will post photo of both.

I have decided to take him to the vet this afternoon as I’m completely freaking out that he will die on me (he is my son’s and I really can’t bear the idea) so was hoping on some advice on how to transport him as it’s very cold outside

I have some uniheat multi purpose jumbo shipping warmers, some hand warmers and a couple of mini hot water bottles (bought them as a back up in case there was a power cut)

I have a small plastic box we currently keep locusts in so I suppose I could use that (will post photo) or a card board box but not sure where to put the pads/water bottle, as I presume it’s not great for him to have direct contact?
I really don’t wave to cause him any more stress than absolutely necessary…

Sorry for the long message and thank you in advance!
E1C87CE0-7CB7-4E46-A178-8511C21586A7.jpeg

Right side
E8D2E1D9-8890-4573-8FF2-2AAF2FB56A33.jpeg

Left side - the side I posted a photo of originally last night as had more crust then the right side
image.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you.

So his setup is as follows:

Tank size - 115x56x49cm (45x22x19inches)

Basking light - Arcadia 100w solar flood (the bottom of the lamp is about 13-14cm from the basking spot

UVB - Arcadia 39w D3+ T5 lamp

I checked the basking spot with a laser gun thermometer and the hottest spot has been between 98-102 this morning.

The ambient temperature in the middle of the tank wall is showing 80 and the coolest corner around 75.

He is eating ok - had 9 medium locust this morning as usual. I tried to have a look inside his mouth with limited success but from what I can see it looks pink.

He is definitely shedding his head and rubbing it a lot. As a result, most of the crust on the left hand side came off. There is still some left on the right side, will post photo of both.

I have decided to take him to the vet this afternoon as I’m completely freaking out that he will die on me (he is my son’s and I really can’t bear the idea) so was hoping on some advice on how to transport him as it’s very cold outside

I have some uniheat multi purpose jumbo shipping warmers, some hand warmers and a couple of mini hot water bottles (bought them as a back up in case there was a power cut)

I have a small plastic box we currently keep locusts in so I suppose I could use that (will post photo) or a card board box but not sure where to put the pads/water bottle, as I presume it’s not great for him to have direct contact?
I really don’t wave to cause him any more stress than absolutely necessary…

Sorry for the long message and thank you in advance! View attachment 66426
Right side
View attachment 66427
Left side - the side I posted a photo of originally last night as had more crust then the right side View attachment 66428
Aww poor dude is really shedding--- your UVB - Arcadia 39w D3+ T5 lamp is this inside the tank or top of screen?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like your setup is good. The buildup may be due to accumulation of mucous or (probably more likely) puss buildup from a wound either along the outside of his mouth or along his gums. A topical cleanser like the betadine mentioned earlier, or MaxiGuard gel or even some manuka honey might help that heal up. I'm not sure what caused it but it could be a result of rubbing his head and catching on something a bit too rough. If the wound is inside his mouth, it could be a result of a bite or eating something rough like how we can sometimes get cuts in our mouth. I think this warrants attention, but may not be critical and I think it would certainly be treatable. Having a vet check it out may be a good idea since you aren't able to get a good look in his mouth to help determine the source of the buildup. A vet may have a good antibacterial cleanser that would help with healing as well. I don't think you're doing anything wrong and this is just kind of an oddball issue that should be treatable.

candrea

Original Poster
It sounds like your setup is good. The buildup may be due to accumulation of mucous or (probably more likely) puss buildup from a wound either along the outside of his mouth or along his gums. A topical cleanser like the betadine mentioned earlier, or MaxiGuard gel or even some manuka honey might help that heal up. I'm not sure what caused it but it could be a result of rubbing his head and catching on something a bit too rough. If the wound is inside his mouth, it could be a result of a bite or eating something rough like how we can sometimes get cuts in our mouth. I think this warrants attention, but may not be critical and I think it would certainly be treatable. Having a vet check it out may be a good idea since you aren't able to get a good look in his mouth to help determine the source of the buildup. A vet may have a good antibacterial cleanser that would help with healing as well. I don't think you're doing anything wrong and this is just kind of an oddball issue that should be treatable.

Thank you so much KarrieRee, Drache613 and CooperDragon, I am really grateful for your help. I ended up taking him to a vet (armed with today's poo sample, various photos and details of his setup, food, and supplements - he probably thought I was mad and he was probably right - I am a bit obsessed with him and super-worried about getting things wrong and causing him harm) and he thought the crusts were probably just part of the shedding process. He was happy with the setup and him generally, said he was a good weight and looked healthy. He said to keep an eye on it and go back if it gets worse/comes back (by now it is pretty much gone with only traces of it being visible due to shedding and rubbing himself) but he didn't think it was mouth rot or anything nasty. So hopefully this is the end of this particular chapter, I can only hope my baby dragon got less stressed about the visit to the vet then I did... Thanks again for your help, hoping not to need to be back too soon but great to know that I can have some support if/when I need it!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Thank you so much KarrieRee, Drache613 and CooperDragon, I am really grateful for your help. I ended up taking him to a vet (armed with today's poo sample, various photos and details of his setup, food, and supplements - he probably thought I was mad and he was probably right - I am a bit obsessed with him and super-worried about getting things wrong and causing him harm) and he thought the crusts were probably just part of the shedding process. He was happy with the setup and him generally, said he was a good weight and looked healthy. He said to keep an eye on it and go back if it gets worse/comes back (by now it is pretty much gone with only traces of it being visible due to shedding and rubbing himself) but he didn't think it was mouth rot or anything nasty. So hopefully this is the end of this particular chapter, I can only hope my baby dragon got less stressed about the visit to the vet then I did... Thanks again for your help, hoping not to need to be back too soon but great to know that I can have some support if/when I need it!
In order to keep him healthy and eating please make sure your basking temps are correct and the UVB correctly placed and correct distance --- if it isnt he will develop MBD --- I had asked earlier where the UVB is as I cant see it I can only assume the is inside the tank --- and the distance would need to be 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor piece --- Please get rid of the basking bulb if its not a clear bright white one -- and make sure your getting basking surface temps --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom