Yelllow Fungus Beardie Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Unfortunately my Beardie has yellow fungus. We have been given these instructions:

1. Soak daily in warm water for 10-15 minutes.
2. If your bearded dragon is not eating on its own, feed at least 5-8 mL of Emeraid Omnivore per day.
3. Give enrofloxacin as directed. This is an antibiotic.
4. Please apply SSD on wounds topically once daily
5. We have called in voriconazole to a pharmacy. They should be giving you a call within 48 hours. Unfortunately this medication is expensive. We have prescribed enough for the full 9 week course.

I have heard the oral antibiotic will make yellow fungus grow faster and that the frequent baths could increase the fungal growth as well. Another concern is that the voriconazole will hurt our beardie’s liver. Can you let me know what you think of the instructions we were given by vet? Any suggestions on the antibiotic, baths and maybe something for his liver so it doesn’t get too messed up by the voriconazole? I really appreciate the help.
Joseph

BeardedDragon150

Original Poster
Hello,

Unfortunately my Beardie has yellow fungus. We have been given these instructions:

1. Soak daily in warm water for 10-15 minutes.
2. If your bearded dragon is not eating on its own, feed at least 5-8 mL of Emeraid Omnivore per day.
3. Give enrofloxacin as directed. This is an antibiotic.
4. Please apply SSD on wounds topically once daily
5. We have called in voriconazole to a pharmacy. They should be giving you a call within 48 hours. Unfortunately this medication is expensive. We have prescribed enough for the full 9 week course.

I have heard the oral antibiotic will make yellow fungus grow faster and that the frequent baths could increase the fungal growth as well. Another concern is that the voriconazole will hurt our beardie’s liver. Can you let me know what you think of the instructions we were given by vet? Any suggestions on the antibiotic, baths and maybe something for his liver so it doesn’t get too messed up by the voriconazole? I really appreciate the help.
Joseph
Have also heard something about probiotics being necessary during this time due to the damage being caused to the liver by the voricanazole. What should I do about this? Should I be using some disinfectant when I give him his daily baths?
Thanks,
Joseph

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your dragon has yellow fungus, that is rough on them.
The Voriconazole is highly effective but as you suspect, it is hard on the liver. I definitely recommend probiotics
while he is on them, it will help out. To head off liver damage, you can also try milk thistle as well. It is routinely used
for liver help.
The Enroflaxin or Baytril really doesn't need to be given for a yellow fungus diagnosis, it will most likely cause more
harm than good increasing fungal problems. I wouldn't give baths because that contributes to spreading fungus too
easily. There is nothing wrong with a bath now & then to rinse off the skin, etc but not on a regular daily basis, no.
The silver cream is very helpful for yellow fungus & other skin ailments so daily use is a good idea.
If he isn't eating much on his own definitely feed the Omnivore, it is nutritious & will keep up his nutrition if he isn't
eating well.

Let us know how he is doing & how his progress is going.
Tracie

BeardedDragon150

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice! I need to call the vet to discuss changing the care being provided to my dragon. I understand that the baths would potentiality give the fungus more opportunities to grow and thrive. However, what is it about the oral antibiotics that promote the fungal growth?

Joseph

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Joseph,

The antibiotics can interfere with the normal flora/bacteria in the gut, which would promote fungal growth over time.
Personally, I would just give the Voriconazole initially along with the silver cream & see how the progress goes first.
I wouldn't want your dragon to have undue stress put on the liver from two harsh medications.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom