Yawning? Multiple times a day

bleav913

My beardie is what looks like yawning, multiple times a day for the last week or so. He does little jerks afterwards. I thought it was choking at first but he doesn’t seem to be having issues breathing I don’t think. When he opens his mouth he makes a sound but only when he does his really wide open ones and it just sounds like his jaw opening. His ‘yawns’ don’t occur in a pattern or anything of meals and stuff. When he yawns, he also puffs up his beards and his belly.

He’s also been trying to go into brumation, but since we just finished treating him for parasites and haven’t done the fecal sample yet to see if it worked, my vet advised that I wake him up so I’ve been taking him outside in a tent where it’s been about 32°C (90°F) outside. It worked kind of since before he hadn’t left his cave or ate in 4 days, but he’s still not as active.

He’s also been eating way less and less interest in food in general. When he walks, it’s like he’s moving in slow motion and just doesn’t have the energy to do anything.

Trying to get him into see a vet again, but the wait times are insane. Could this be a URI?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My beardie is what looks like yawning, multiple times a day for the last week or so. He does little jerks afterwards. I thought it was choking at first but he doesn’t seem to be having issues breathing I don’t think. When he opens his mouth he makes a sound but only when he does his really wide open ones and it just sounds like his jaw opening. His ‘yawns’ don’t occur in a pattern or anything of meals and stuff. When he yawns, he also puffs up his beards and his belly.

He’s also been trying to go into brumation, but since we just finished treating him for parasites and haven’t done the fecal sample yet to see if it worked, my vet advised that I wake him up so I’ve been taking him outside in a tent where it’s been about 32°C (90°F) outside. It worked kind of since before he hadn’t left his cave or ate in 4 days, but he’s still not as active.

He’s also been eating way less and less interest in food in general. When he walks, it’s like he’s moving in slow motion and just doesn’t have the energy to do anything.

Trying to get him into see a vet again, but the wait times are insane. Could this be a URI?
Please tell me what your using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture? Basking surface temps what are they and how are you taking them? Please get a video of the yawning etc---- you can record on youtube and post the link

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Can you post a picture of your dragon and his setup?
Is he shedding? That could explain all the behaviors. Especially when they are about to, or are currently shedding their beard/face, they will stretch their beard and jaw to help loosen the skin.

-Brandon

bleav913

Original Poster
Please tell me what your using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture? Basking surface temps what are they and how are you taking them? Please get a video of the yawning etc---- you can record on youtube and post the link
T8 10.0 Reptisun mounted on the inside 8” from basking spot. Arcadia T5 12% will be installed soon. Basking surface temps range from 98°- 107°F since it’s a multi-level rock. I take the temps with a temp gun.

bleav913

Original Poster
Hi there,

Can you post a picture of your dragon and his setup?
Is he shedding? That could explain all the behaviors. Especially when they are about to, or are currently shedding their beard/face, they will stretch their beard and jaw to help loosen the skin.

-Brandon
He shed not too long ago and he doesn’t really look like he’s about to. Temps are lower in the pic since it the light was just turning on.

Attachments

• BF70C834-FF6F-4F2A-984E-B521E7E4F8A9.jpeg
    BF70C834-FF6F-4F2A-984E-B521E7E4F8A9.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 92

bleav913

Original Poster
T8 10.0 Reptisun mounted on the inside 8” from basking spot. Arcadia T5 12% will be installed soon. Basking surface temps range from 98°- 107°F since it’s a multi-level rock. I take the temps with a temp gun.

Attachments

• IMG_5992.MOV
    3.3 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    8.8 MB

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What does his current diet look like? Or what was it before he started acting funny.

Yawning in and of itself is nothing to be concerned with. And like mentioned earlier, is typically just them trying to stretch their beard.

-Brandon

bleav913

Original Poster
T8 10.0 Reptisun mounted on the inside 8” from basking spot. Arcadia T5 12% will be installed soon. Basking surface temps range from 98°- 107°F since it’s a multi-level rock. I take the temps with a temp gun
What does his current diet look like? Or what was it before he started acting funny.

Yawning in and of itself is nothing to be concerned with. And like mentioned earlier, is typically just them trying to stretch their beard.

-Brandon
He’s given fresh baby arugula and collard greens everyday sprinkled with multivitamin powder twice a week. BSFL given 3 times a week dusted in calcium w/o D3.

It’s more so that he’s never done it before and now he’s doing it constantly. Like 6 times an hour sometimes. He’s also very black today.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He’s given fresh baby arugula and collard greens everyday sprinkled with multivitamin powder twice a week. BSFL given 3 times a week dusted in calcium w/o D3.

It’s more so that he’s never done it before and now he’s doing it constantly. Like 6 times an hour sometimes. He’s also very black today.
As in a black beard? for babies he needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding -- that is for regular insects like dubias crickets etc --- BSFL I have been told they dont need to be dusted as they are calcium enriched -- does he have any mucous coming out of his nose or mouth and is he making any crackling noise -- heave breathing -- I watched the video you posted but nothing looked off to me --
I am going to have Tracie take a look see what she thinks is going on
@Drache613

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't see anything of issue in the video either.

Like mentioned, it's likely him just stretching his beard. He looks alert, active, and healthy. Not like a dragon with a URI at all.

He's also at the age where hormones are probably starting to kick in, and he's practicing his beard puffing.

There is nothing to be concerned with here.

-Brandon

bleav913

Original Poster
As in a black beard? for babies he needs calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding -- that is for regular insects like dubias crickets etc --- BSFL I have been told they dont need to be dusted as they are calcium enriched -- does he have any mucous coming out of his nose or mouth and is he making any crackling noise -- heave breathing -- I watched the video you posted but nothing looked off to me --
@Drache613
He’s 15 months so he’s fully grown! I was told to dust the BSFL since it’s the only feeders he’ll eat. No he doesn’t have any mucus or anything. He seems to be breathing normal. And okay, thank you! He’s just been so weird lately that I’m not sure what’s going on since every behaviour thing means like 10 different things. Like his lack of appetite and how dark he is and no pooping and the weird yawns lol. It’s a lot

bleav913

Original Poster
I don't see anything of issue in the video either.

Like mentioned, it's likely him just stretching his beard. He looks alert, active, and healthy. Not like a dragon with a URI at all.

He's also at the age where hormones are probably starting to kick in, and he's practicing his beard puffing.

There is nothing to be concerned with here.

-Brandon
He’s an adult! That’s why I thought it was weird it was all of a sudden.

bleav913

Original Poster
He’s 15 months so he’s fully grown! I was told to dust the BSFL since it’s the only feeders he’ll eat. No he doesn’t have any mucus or anything. He seems to be breathing normal. And okay, thank you! He’s just been so weird lately that I’m not sure what’s going on since every behaviour thing means like 10 different things. Like his lack of appetite and how dark he is and no pooping and the weird yawns lol. It’s a
@Drache613
Just whole body very dark!

Attachments

• 7BAC4948-EACC-4F01-BA45-6EE8AFD3CE31.jpeg
    7BAC4948-EACC-4F01-BA45-6EE8AFD3CE31.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 2999969C-9F4C-4CF5-B6C6-42925EF71AD3.jpeg
    2999969C-9F4C-4CF5-B6C6-42925EF71AD3.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 76

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That looks like shed coming on -- they turn different colors -- if your not hearing any crackling or wheezing going on no mucous out of the nose or mouth - lots of saliva its not a RI--

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom