Xps foam and lighting / heating help!

Porterislemons

Beardie name(s)
Bandit
Hello all, new to the group and need some very specific thoughts and advice. I have a custom made background with ledges created with xps foam, painted with dryloc UK equivalent.

My dragon loves his basking spot, spends most of his day there when he’s not exploring. Any material surfaces near or around his basking ledge (wood, cork etc) all read appropriate basking temps. However…the foam ledge surface reads very hot. The problem is that the foam is not overly hot to touch and as soon as you do it immediately cools down. For example my IR thermometer will read 38-40 Celsius on a piece of cork placed on the ledge but read 45-50 Celsius on the foam ledge. As soon as a cover the ledge with my hand or other material for a few seconds, the temp drops down to around 38-40.
My very long winded question is whether I need to worry as I’m sure it’s the nature of the painted foam that is absorbing heat in its thin layer of paint, that dissipates quickly. Not holding heat as a rock would.

Any posts I find relating to the subject seem to end up discussing the efficacy of IR vs probe thermometers and don’t seem to cover the material itself. Im sure im Not the only one having this issue and just need some advice! I do not want to lower the wattage as any other material is fine and my dragon is happy and healthy on his spot. Any expert opinion or thought would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

• 03A76152-FDF7-4190-B6ED-132D85E3D648.jpeg
    03A76152-FDF7-4190-B6ED-132D85E3D648.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 114
  • A2A9C5B7-27BB-4E45-A10A-B489D4C96AB0.jpeg
    A2A9C5B7-27BB-4E45-A10A-B489D4C96AB0.jpeg
    238.4 KB · Views: 79
  • D15B857B-CBBA-4B95-AF10-66F855226078.jpeg
    D15B857B-CBBA-4B95-AF10-66F855226078.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 73

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That is an amazing set up.
If it's not hot enough to be uncomfortable to the touch, and you boy willing bask there i would think it's ok.
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but if your beardie isn't complaining i would think it's all good.
He does look quite content 🙂

alyssa2704

Hi, I’ve just seen this and was wondering which expanding foam you used and the equivalent of drylok because I am also from the UK and struggling to find an equivalent!
Thank you

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
That was originally posted in april. You might want to message the original poster, you might have better luck getting a reply that way 🙂

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom